what to grind irs bolt??

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
what should i use to grind this infamous irs bolt down with? any suggustions that i could get from the hardware store or Lowe's/home depot??

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
My guess is that most people used something like an ANGLE GRINDER.

When I did mine, I had access to a machine shop. I just purchased a couple of extra bolts and cut the heads down on a lathe. I painted the heads and installed them...they almost look factory. But I'm kind of anal about stuff. :-D

After you grind them down, you might want to splash some paint on them because they will begin to rust where they were ground off.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
what should i use to grind this infamous irs bolt down with? any suggustions that i could get from the hardware store or Lowe's/home depot??

I'm assuming you want to go with bigger tires and rims. No offense bro. but if you have to ask, stick with using a wheel spacer and leave the bolt alone!! :bash:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
We took a grinder (like the angle one) and shaved a dime size piece off of each bolt. I was able to fit 335's 18's with no spacers, only the shaved bolt.

Its pretty quick, only take a couple of minutes to do.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
BuffDigits said:
We took a grinder (like the angle one) and shaved a dime size piece off of each bolt. I was able to fit 335's 18's with no spacers, only the shaved bolt.

Its pretty quick, only take a couple of minutes to do.
thanks guys, just looking for some suggustions,,,

WDW MKR

Established Member
anvrsy red vert said:
I'm assuming you want to go with bigger tires and rims. No offense bro. but if you have to ask, stick with using a wheel spacer and leave the bolt alone!! :bash:

Depending on the tire/wheel combination, a spacer will not be enough by itself unless you run an obscene size that put the tire past the fender (1/2" or larger).

WDW MKR

Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Hmmm...anybody got a machine shop..and want to do a few bolts if I send them to you????

It's really a piece of cake to do with an angle grinder or dremel tool. I actually used a dremel. Though it will take longer than a high-powered angle grinder, it was a piece of cake.

If you don't want to mess with it, pick up a spare set of bolts from you local dealership and just call a local machine shop from the phone book. They'll have no problem with it and probably won't charge more than a few pennies. Just make sure they slightly round the edges to elimate any sharp points that could damage a tire.

2004Serpent

Established Member
if you were in the la area id do it.

i have access to 12 verticle mills, 8 horizontal mills, 6 pedistol grinders, 2 industrial drill presses, 14 horizontal lathes, 2 Haas CNC mills, & 2 Haas CNC lathes (plus some other misc. tools)

having 24/7 access to my machine shop is nifty but dealing with some of my students could be a pain in the ass some times.

if any of you are in the la area i would be happy to do them for you.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
2004Serpent said:
if you were in the la area id do it.

i have access to 12 verticle mills, 8 horizontal mills, 6 pedistol grinders, 2 industrial drill presses, 14 horizontal lathes, 2 Haas CNC mills, & 2 Haas CNC lathes (plus some other misc. tools)

having 24/7 access to my machine shop is nifty but dealing with some of my students could be a pain in the ass some times.

if any of you are in the la area i would be happy to do them for you.

Um...I am not..but, the post man delivers to your area..right? What if I bought them and sent them to you...and provide the money to send them back?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Just in case anyone hasn't seen these pictures...

Undy's ground down bolt head. Gotta give him credit as he is the inventor of this mod! :thumbsup:

boltheadgroundoff.jpg

Here are two of my own bolts... before and after. This bolt was done on a lathe. When I was done cutting it, I rode a file around the edge to sort of round it off.

Shaved_Bolt.jpg

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If you lowered your car wouldnt it bring the bolt inside your wheel so you wouldnt need to grind it down? Or should you still grind down the IRS Bolt?

2003 Silver

Banned
2003Slobra said:
If you lowered your car wouldnt it bring the bolt inside your wheel so you wouldnt need to grind it down? Or should you still grind down the IRS Bolt?

Yeah....I have the Eibach pro-kit and it is well within the wheel. On a lift when the suspension drops it hits it. Don't really care about that thou ...don't plan on bottoming out the suspension. :rollseyes

WDW MKR

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
Yeah....I have the Eibach pro-kit and it is well within the wheel. On a lift when the suspension drops it hits it. Don't really care about that thou ...don't plan on bottoming out the suspension. :rollseyes

You won't be rolling your eyes if one of your wheels dips into a large pothole, or you're driving in an excited manner and happen to come upon a crest in the road. I've accidentally unloaded my suspension on a couple of occassions. It may sound like an impossibility, but you'll really wish you took the extra step when that bolt decides to catch the inner sidewall of your tire. Our rear wheels articulate much more than a standard axle. Crossing certain inclines at enough of an approach angle could be enough to partially unload a rear tire. Why take the risk?! :shrug:

Last edited:

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
WDW MKR said:
You won't be rolling your eyes if one of your wheels dips into a large pothole, or you're driving in an excited manner and happen to come upon a crest in the road. I've accidentally unloaded my suspension on a couple of occassions. It may sound like an impossibility, but you'll really wish you took the extra step when that bolt decides to catch the inner sidewall of your tire. Our rear wheels articulate much more than a standard axle. Crossing certain inclines at enough of an approach angle could be enough to partially unload a rear tire. Why take the risk?! :shrug:

Damnit! I never even thought of that situation. I am glad you brought that to my attention! Would it be easier to buy new bolts and grind down the head, or jack the car up and grind them down with a dremel?

2004Serpent said:
for sure man I up for it.

If you are willing to make a day of this you could count me in :burnout:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am going to use my Hitachi 4.5" angle grinder and a 4.5" cut off wheel, and cut the suckers. :)

WDW MKR

Established Member
2003Slobra said:
Damnit! I never even thought of that situation. I am glad you brought that to my attention! Would it be easier to buy new bolts and grind down the head, or jack the car up and grind them down with a dremel?

If you are willing to make a day of this you could count me in :burnout:

Grinding with them in the car is no big deal. I'm an addict when it comes to working on the car, so your desire may vary. Doing a seperate set of bolts and swapping them in would probably be quicker, but that doesn't build any character, now does it?:-D If you have access to an angle grinder or decent dremel tool, I recommend just doing them on the car. It will take longer, but it saves from having to buy a new set of bolts, swapping them out, and verifying that they're torqued correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread