what to look for in a 99 cobra

good4me

Established Member
im wondering what type of problems i should look for in a 99 cobra.

im doing some serious searching for a 99 with low miles and i just want to know if its a smart purchase or should i go with a 01.

99SVTcobraVERT

look for a ford sticker under the hood on radiator area, or in doors that says pcm reflash and gives a date. last resort call 800 FORD SVT and give them the vin. ask them if the "fix" has been preformed and if it hasnt RUN as fast as you can away from the car. this included new lower intake,catback and reflashed pcm. the whole system was too restrictive and made no where near 320bhp. also make sure knuckles have been done also. :beer:

good4me

Established Member
knuckles have been done also?

whats that supposed to mean?

and if the work hasnt been done, does it cost me to have it dont or is it something ford pays for?

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
The rear knuckle recall and e-brake recall were safety issues and I would think Ford would still perform those recalls.

Like stated above, check to see if it has had the "fix" and if it hasn't and you are still dead-set on the car, see if you can get it dynoed before you buy it. Not all of the '99s had the power problems, but all were eligible for the "fix".

The '01s were not without their own set of problems... some were nasty pingers.

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by CobraGirlSVT
Not all of the '99s had the power problems, but all were eligible for the "fix".

i have yet to see one make stock what it was suppose to. based off of the understood driveline loss % NO 99 ive ever heard of made 320 flywheel.

my 99 red vert was about the closest ive seen make near the power it was suppose to and it made 263 at wheels and like 279tq. so even it wasnt quite to par. after fix it went 276 and 285 tq.

Originally posted by CobraGirlSVT

The '01s were not without their own set of problems... some were nasty pingers.

01's didnt have nearly as many issues. and some pinged yes but it wasnt national recall and well known by the whole sports car world...

also to answer your question completely good4me, ford does all the recalls at cost like the ones cobragirl mentioned. however the main one that people are worried about is the performance. this was only covered for as long as your factory 3/36k warranty. after that you have to pay for it yourself. honestly all you really need is an extrude lower or stock 01 intake. then you can just get a chip and catback to cure the other problems.

99SVTcobraVERT

on side note, the difference between the 99 and 01 post fix is the 01's for most part tend to make more rwhp and rwtq. and have a touch better power band. other than that the 01 has two tone racing style seats, tinted front headlights,in dash cd 6 changer, cobra rear bumper,polished wheel option, gauges light up green instead of blue like the 99 (which i miss dearly.. ) 01 has 3650 trans instead of t45,touch stronger halfshafts.and a different spoiler. i loved my 99 ,the only reason i traded mine in with only 12k miles for my 01 new is because of the listed items above and i heard they made more power. either way you go they are beautiful cars...

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
...touch stronger halfshafts....

i'd say going from 28 to 31 spline is more than a touch....
and also, i went from my 99 to my 01 for the same reasons, plus cause i got 0% financing.....

SCOTT99COBRA

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm a long ways away, but I have a red '99 with 15K for sale. E-mail me if you are interested. I don't have any pics right now, but I will get some this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread