What to use for 218 carolina skiff

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
I am picking up a 2014 Carolina Skiff this week and trying to figure out the best products to preserve the finish and color of the boat. I always have used Meguiars/Poor Boys on my Cobra and Raptor. Just looking for suggestions on products and techniques. I also have a 7424 xp polisher.

UncleDan

Established Member
The PC polisher you have will work, but it will take you a lot longer to get the results you would get with a straight up Makita rotary buffer on the gel coat. When I was a marine mechanic, the guys who did that kind of work always used a really heavy marine buffing compound that would restore the gel coat finish really well. So thick they had to apply it with a brush first, and then work it hard with a thick wool pad.

But since your boat is brand new and you don't have to worry about restoring the finish, I would go with a product like 3M's marine line. They have a lot of good lighter polishes/sealants/waxes for gel coat, and you can go with softer pads. I would kind of veer away from the automotive detailing products for a boat because A. It will get really expensive, and B. They just won't hold up to the environment out on the water.

Brandon03Cobra

On a Boat..
Established Member
I was definitely thinking of something lighter since it is new. I really want to just start off protecting from the start so it's not so hard to keep it nice looking.

Users who are viewing this thread