what to use to clean trans

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
Hey guys, I just picked up a T56 to swap into my car and although its pretty clean, I want it to look as new as possible on the outside. I was wondering if any of you have done something similar and what you used, also any pics and advice would be great, thanks!

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I cleaned up the TH400 I put in my Nova. I used some Meg's D108 degreaser, APC and also some brake cleaner on the stubborn stuff. Cleaned up very well. You can then seal it with some Hydro2 if you are that crazy/nuts like I am. LOL

Keep us posted!

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
I cleaned up the TH400 I put in my Nova. I used some Meg's D108 degreaser, APC and also some brake cleaner on the stubborn stuff. Cleaned up very well. You can then seal it with some Hydro2 if you are that crazy/nuts like I am. LOL

Keep us posted!

whats APC?

Will do, I might do a mini swap thread about it once I start taking the 5 speed stuff out.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
On top of what NastyGT500 advised, using a brush that won't scratch the finish of the trans will help greatly to agitate the grease off.

Spray all of those on the trans and let it soak to make removal of all dirt/grease much easier. Sealing it after will help maintain it's clean finish for a good amount of time.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
On top of what NastyGT500 advised, using a brush that won't scratch the finish of the trans will help greatly to agitate the grease off.

Spray all of those on the trans and let it soak to make removal of all dirt/grease much easier. Sealing it after will help maintain it's clean finish for a good amount of time.

sweet thanks, you mean just use a sealant like you use on paint?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Exactly. Works the same way just apply it thinner. There are also other coatings you can apply as well that would do the same thing. Using sealant is not the "proper" method but it will get you by.

Weslsew

Established Member
I'll also recommend hydro2 coating. Couldn't be easier to apply, you spray it on and then hose it off. I coated the engine bay in my truck with it, and it actually even coated the rusty exhaust manifolds. I was shocked, water will not stick to them it just runs off.

Users who are viewing this thread