What Tune: Lund or VMP

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey everyone,

Im looking for advice which tune do you think would be better for my current NA set up. I know everyone will say go AED but I just installed parts that need a tune before I can just start data logging(do not want to run the engine without a tune) and I know shaun wants data logs prior to sending tunes. Originally I was going to get a dyno tune but my local shop which is good but is backed up for 2-3 weeks and I dont feel like waiting that long.

So which one would you recommend Lund or VMP?? Also need to pass NY inspection with off road pipe and I know theres a few tricks for this

2011 GT (37k) 6sp with 3.73 mods: Car is just a weekend cruiser/car show no tracking but want the most out of my set up
Ported CJ Manifold
Super Cobra Jet throttle
Drew's 4.5 CAI 110mm
lethal off road Hpipe
lethal over axle pipes
Borla S type
DSS aluminum one piece

thank for your input

Shaun@AED

I received your emails about the troubles you are having with data logging, and as I stated there I require logs from customers in order to proper dial in their combinations. If you could not log before on the stock setup, why would anything be different after you install the mods and tune?
Any bugs that may pop up I would not be able to do anything about without proper data logs. We see things like low fuel quality, bad injectors, exhaust leaks, and many other issues in data logs that have nothing to do with tuning. This is another reason I require logs. We can not fix hardware issues with software, and logging can clue us in on any hardware issues that may be present.

I simply will not tune vehicles without data logs.

ajpturbo

Established Member
James gordon of tuning by james does not require data logs prior to tuning even with forced induction he will happily send you a base tune to get you started...he also can help you trouble shoot a hardware and or mechanical problems not do to tuning...i would prefer aed over lund or vmp but you may be out of luck since you already installed your parts..not sure how well it will run with a different throttle body without a tune

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
Your fist data log that you need is at idle so you should be fine. Look up lasota racing that guy def knows his stuff and he'll guide you thru it.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Shaun,

I tried to data log again but when I was having issues i decided I would just go to my local shop and have them dyno tune it and that day I was installing my CJ setup. Since I have no garage and the weather here is so on and off I only have so many weekends free that I could install all my parts. My friend will help me in the data logging process since he knows and I understand why you need a tune prior. I had a Bama tune and then I dynoed the car and everything was running perfectly had zero issues with idle or running. Thanks for answering my emails.

I

jojobee

Established Member
I will say it straight as I see it, haters take it easy ;)
VMP support is the worse I have ever seen, the tunes are generally good.

If you are lucky your email will be picked up by Justin an answered very briefly, while he remembers you there is a chance you'll get more answers if you respond to him.
Most of the time you will send a legitimate email and will not get an answer, even though you're looking to spend money with them.

They have a section here and are not even present on the forum.

I had a VMP tune I switched tuner because of this, customer support is important to me.

On the other hand Lund has a service desk application and everytime I sent an email I had a response by Lund SR the same day.

My vote would clearly be Lund (or AED who also has good customer service, although he's more picky about what car he will tune).

Again this is just my opinion based off the last 2 years.

ajpturbo

Established Member
I also had a Lund tune and after putting some miles on the car started to realize a few things were off....It became increasingly difficult to get an email response from him...I'll never forget when he told me "I was grasping at straws" and he minimized the symptoms.

That's when I was looking for a resolution and found James Gordon. He was able to fix the problem completely and quickly explaining to me why we needed to change things. I was reluctant to believe that a Lund tune could be inadequate but everything James explained was correct. I never needed to look back after that.

Maybe I just had a bad experience as many here have had good results with Lund.

bmyles

Established Member
My vmp tune is spot on, I just phone if I need something and I find if your emailing him directly it's not bad but if you email the tuning support thing you might as well cc god because your not going to get a reply from either of them. I done my Tvs last year and had great help every time I phoned.

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey everyone,

thanks for the input guys. I spoke to Shaun at AED and he helped me out with my issue about data logging and what not. We spoke for about 20 mins he answered all of my questions which im sure where annoying haha and gave me so good advice and what not. Shaun knows his stuff on these coyotes and he exceeded all my expectations with his customer service and he sent me a tune. I have his tune and cannot wait to install it from what we spoke about his tunes are strong spinning the tires in almost all gears.

I know Shaun requires more then most tuners but when he explains why he does this makes total sense and worth it as he makes sure your car is running 100%. AED is the way to go!!!

YouGoGlenCocoa

Established Member
Man i would love to hear your car. I have borla s types and recently installed a lethal h and fell in love with it. But i would realllly like to hear your set up!!

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Haha yeah its loud and I love it finally was able to drive the car i can barrely hear anything since the exhaust is so loud but I do hear the CAI sucking in air sounds awesome. Once my car is all ready I will post some pics and maybe a video if i can get one.

2012GTCS

Established Member
We need to link up this season man! I have S-types also and im about to throw on cat deletes and get a tune from AED as well. Id love to hear them w/o cats first tho!

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey yeah man where are you located on Long Island? Im trying to get my car ready for April 19th big 3 showdown(mustang vs Camaros vs hemi's) at English town. SHaun said I have a massive vacuum leak :/

Users who are viewing this thread