what tune to get ?

02_SonicBluSVT

All About The Corners...
Established Member
Bentonville, Arkansas/Grand Rapids, Michigan
Both function about the same as far as being able to check error codes and such. It is more about the person doing the tune, than the tuning device itself.

With that being said... I got my tune from 1turbofocus (aka Turbo Tom) on Focus Fanatics. Main reason... he always answers my questions or concerns within 12-24 hours, but usually less time than that.

I have had my tune from Tom since the beginning of January, and it is an amazing difference how much just some programming can do to wake up the low to mid-range of these cars. I drove a friend's car a couple weeks ago with Wayne's tune, and it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth with power delivery as mine, though I could tell it was a different and superior tune over the crappy factory setup.

SpeedOften

Established Member
151lalalalala.jpg

The Blue is Tom's tune, and the red is Waynes street tune..

This is the difference between Tom's tune and Waynes tune, both using an Xcal2... tom has had more time to work on his predator tune so it's a little more fine tuned, but you really won't see a difference between Tom's tune ona predator verse an xcal2...

Last edited:

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Interesting.

I've had an XCal w/ Wayne's Tune for quite a while now and have been happy, but I think I'm going to give Tom a call and see what he can do for me!:coolman:

Last edited:

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
okay thanks, but you get the tune if your car is showing errors?, so if it doesnt show any errors then is it a waste to get it done??

plus with all the performance advantages, wat will happen to the mpgs????

Rob

02_SonicBluSVT

All About The Corners...
Established Member
Rob_eaton said:
okay thanks, but you get the tune if your car is showing errors?, so if it doesnt show any errors then is it a waste to get it done??

plus with all the performance advantages, wat will happen to the mpgs????

Rob

No... the program flasher (Diablo and XCal2) will read engine trouble codes so you don't have to take your car into Ford to find out why your check engine light is on. Both have LCD displays that show information... you can also do live datalogging with the Diablo and XCal2.

With all the performance gains... you should actually see an increase in fuel economy... I used to get 19mpg consistantly with primarily stop and go city driving... since the tune I am getting 25mpg with no change in driving style... I am looking forward to my drive back to Michigan to see what my highway mileage is going to be.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
With my current tune, I picked up 2-3 mpg WITH more power and better driveability! Hard to beat that combonation!:rockon:

Can't really speak about the warranty. I bought my car new in Sept. '04, along with a 5yr/100K extended warranty (on everything). My only real problem was with the heated seat switch so far, which was covered under warranty - no questions asked.

One thing I can tell you about my current tune is that it will NOT pass the state emissions test. Though now that I know this, I just reload the stock tune when it comes time for inspection and it goes right through.

Last edited:

macdiesel

Established Member
Diablo from Tom for the awesome tune and great customer service. I believe he still offers free updates on NA cars so thats good. Can read, in plain english, and clear tunes as well. Really easy to use.

SpeedOften

Established Member
Rob_eaton said:
will the tune void the powertrain limited warranty ?? mine lasts 4 more years/75k
No.. it will not void the warranty.. besides, A dealer wouldn't be able to tell that there's an aftermarket tune in the vehicle...

th most impressive thing about Tom's tune is the diffference in tq at 3000rpm... That's a HUGE difference.. and he's the only tuner I've seen on a dyno print out, be able to do that..

Last edited:

bullitt042001

Established Member
I'm really interested on the diablo sport tuning by Tom,does anyone have his number or web adress? and about the price how much does it cost?

Thanx.

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
Pricing:
$495***

why so much ???, i saw some guys able to get the tune from tom for around 370 and some less too..wats up with that ???

Rob

02_SonicBluSVT

All About The Corners...
Established Member
The price on the Predator unit itself went up in January... that was how Tom was selling them for (forgive me) "cheap". I paid $370 before paypal fees, and shipping... ended up being right around $400.

Hands down... the tune is going to be the best mod for the buck no matter if it is $370 or $495... if you modify your car, then the tune can grow with your car's modifications. Tom gives free tune updates on any naturally aspirated car.

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
my uncle is an engineer at Visteon (ford affiliate supplier), i always see him tuning euro ford vehicles, but im not too sure he knows pefromance tuning, he most likely works on convenience related stuff as opposed to hardcore performance...

im not sure so i will ask him about it, hope its not complicated, I'll also ask if he could get discounts on ford cataloge parts

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread