what turbo kits are good?

88 347 stroker

Established Member
Well I have a 88 fox body with a 347 stroker in it. The motor was built with some sort of forced induction in mind. Up until recently I wanted to throw a supercharger on it and call it a day. I have herd a lot of guys say turbo kits are the way to go. I drive the car mostly on the weekend for fun and I rarely make it to the drag strip. I hope to make it to some autocross/road course events this year but not to many. If I decide to go with a supercharger it’s going to be a procharger but I want to look into the turbo kits first. Should I go with a turbo for starters? If so, what turbo companies make a good quality kit and what companies should I stay away from.

Thanks for the help

TRBO VNM

I personally really like the hellion kits. great quality, warranty and customer service. you will find a lot of people recommend a DIY kit. their fox body kit comes with mild coated headers and the rest of the pipes are stainless. all the stainless piping is lifetime warranty and you can upgrade the kit to a 76mm if you want and delete the fuel upgrades that come with the standard kit. it is also a blow thru MAF setup.

longrodLX

Established Member
I will be buying a quicktime turbo kit for my 88 GT with a built 347. Quality is the best I have seen. Customer service is awesome. Uses only the best parts and has it setup so you can get to the sparkplugs and what not with a quick removal setup for the tubing thats in the way with other kits. I honestly think that the hellion kits creat a nightmare and huge headaches for trying to work in the engine bay. Just a lot of stuff in the way and they are priced about $1500 more than the quicktime kit. The quicktime kit is under $3,000 shipped to your door with a masterpower 70mm turbo or you can upgrade to the precision 76mm turbo for only $250 more. If you ever change anything he will custom build you anything you need and sell you the smallest of parts if you need them. I am ordering my kit from him on monday.

Call newt at quicktime turbos and he will answer any questions you have.

http://www.quicktimeturbosystems.com/info.html

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
The Hellion kits aren't that bad to work around. I have a Hellion T66 setup on my 93. Its about the same to work around as it was with my Vortech setup. Plugs are a little hard to get too on the passenger side, but you can get them. I'm happy with mine. I bought my kit used with about 10miles on it. So price is definately a factor. Hellions aren't cheap, but they're very nice & I plan to buy one from them for my 86

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
hellion's quality is amazing....I have not seen the quicktime kit, so I couldnt tell you if its worth saving $1500 or not. Does the quicktime kit come with all polished underhood piping and polished turbo? Do they come with stainless steel hot and cold pipes with a polished intercooler like the hellion?

forst1

Established Member
there is a new company local to me that has some kits that they are having kooks produce for them. the website doesnt have any info up(yet) but i have seen it at some local stores and this thing is sick. all stainless with a griffin intercooler. they salesman said that they wer offering 60-76mm turbos with no extra charge. im not sure of the price but they said that they were getting their site up. velocityturbosystems. hope it helps

longrodLX

Established Member
I am really impressed with the quicktime kit. I have seen all of them including hellion and to me the quicktime looked like a better kit to me. The cold side can be powdercoated any color you would like. the hotside is ceramic coated for up to 2000* temps. I am sure it could be jet hot coated for the polished look. But there are guys switching from the hellion kits to the quicktime kits. The quicktime kit is very user friendly. The downpipe can be removed in a minute for easy acess to the sparkplugs. It comes with pre lengthened spark plug wires so they can be routed properly so they dont burn up. I owned a HP kit for my 99 2V and it was a pretty nice kit. If you want a perfectly designed turbo kit that makes sick power, that still looks good then go with the quicktime kit. Give him a call and ask him a few questions. He is full of knowledge and doesnt mind spending the time to share it with you.

Last edited:

forst1

Established Member
the bottom line is that stainless steel is the most stable material that can be used on a turbo setup. although price is always a factor what compromises are you willing to make to save money. mild steel is cheap and is easily accessable to smaller one at a time kit makers. im not a believer that pipes should be coated if you can get the same properties from a stainless pipe out of the box

Bullitt357

Established Member
the bottom line is that stainless steel is the most stable material that can be used on a turbo setup. although price is always a factor what compromises are you willing to make to save money. mild steel is cheap and is easily accessable to smaller one at a time kit makers. im not a believer that pipes should be coated if you can get the same properties from a stainless pipe out of the box

Very well said!

longrodLX

Established Member

While I agree with what your saying; it just isnt the case with the quicktime kit. It isnt a "cheap" kit in how it is made or the materials used it is just inexpensive compared to the hellion kit. I personally feel that the steel that is ceramic coated with the quicktime kit is far better for a turbo kit than just stainless steel. Like I said I have seen both kits in person and I was absolutely amazed with the quality of the quicktime kit. I bought it because of the overall design and functionality of the kit is flawless. The parts used are awesome. Customer service is some of the best I have experienced. I didnt buy the quicktime kit over the hellion kit to save a few hundred bucks. I havent skimped on any parts for my car and I dont plan on it. There is a reason you see guys switching from the hellion kits to the quicktime kits. Just my .02;-)

forst1

Established Member
i wasnt saying that bernard makes a cheap kit. my only thing is that from a metallurgy perspective 16 gauge 304 stainless is the most stable alloy that is economically available and the best. it will handle variable heat cycles without the molecular breakdown of an inferior alloy. there are many of the pioneers on the modern turbo v8 era that do not even consider using anything other than ss. sean hyland even recommends coating the EXTERIOR only on his ss exhausts. hellion uses 18 gauge and has a crap design with mild steel coated headers. the boost pipe that wraps over and back down really looks like hell. i just ordered my velocity turbo systems kit and it is one amazing piece of craftmanship. apparently kooks is manufacturing everything for these guys and it shows in their display piece. when i get it i may take hylands advice and ceramic coat the exteriors of everything or i may wait to see if they get too hot in any areas. either way longrod, congrats on the setup and make sure you make these blower guys sorry they went with the belt.

Last edited:

forst1

Established Member
hellion's quality is amazing....I have not seen the quicktime kit, so I couldnt tell you if its worth saving $1500 or not. Does the quicktime kit come with all polished underhood piping and polished turbo? Do they come with stainless steel hot and cold pipes with a polished intercooler like the hellion?
only mild steel and i dont know if the optional precision head unit has a polished option .the quicktime is a quality made kit but is built with the restrictions of small batch kit makers have. its good enough for a partiallyincomplete kit but you will end up spending 5500 by the time you are done

vemom93

quicktime is a good kit, but its not the best. MPT70 is a good turbo, but its a really old garret p-trim wheel design hold it back a little bit. Quicktime is a copy of B&G kit that has been around for many many years, and is prolly about the same quality at a little cheaper price. I went with the PTK kit. Hard to come by like the HP kit, but a very well built hotside, and a 1k hp capable Cold side. If I were going to go with any kit it would be HP. Thier design, and turbo choice is by far the best in the business. Hellion is nice cause you can order it off the shelf, but the design itself sucks something awe full. The inverted turbo is ugly and takes up too much space, and out of a similar frame turbo makes less hp than the Stage 1 hp kit at the same boost level. I'm not saying the hellion kit is bad, because its not. Not at all. Its a very quality kit with very well selected components. But bang for your buck, hp, b&g, ponydown, and Qucktime are all better deals. If your not looking to push 500 rwhp then ponydown or quicktime are good. If your looking for more you should start looking at kits that come standard with a precision turbo. I had a MPT70 on my car, and the compressor wheel was killing me. Unless your in the efficiency range of that turbo 15-24 psi, its a dawg. Keep that in mind, and message me if you have any more questions.

forst1

Established Member
quicktime is a good kit, but its not the best. MPT70 is a good turbo, but its a really old garret p-trim wheel design hold it back a little bit. Quicktime is a copy of B&G kit that has been around for many many years, and is prolly about the same quality at a little cheaper price. I went with the PTK kit. Hard to come by like the HP kit, but a very well built hotside, and a 1k hp capable Cold side. If I were going to go with any kit it would be HP. Thier design, and turbo choice is by far the best in the business. Hellion is nice cause you can order it off the shelf, but the design itself sucks something awe full. The inverted turbo is ugly and takes up too much space, and out of a similar frame turbo makes less hp than the Stage 1 hp kit at the same boost level. I'm not saying the hellion kit is bad, because its not. Not at all. Its a very quality kit with very well selected components. But bang for your buck, hp, b&g, ponydown, and Qucktime are all better deals. If your not looking to push 500 rwhp then ponydown or quicktime are good. If your looking for more you should start looking at kits that come standard with a precision turbo. I had a MPT70 on my car, and the compressor wheel was killing me. Unless your in the efficiency range of that turbo 15-24 psi, its a dawg. Keep that in mind, and message me if you have any more questions.

oh yeah....keep in mind that ponydown is also a retarded design and looks like a welding trainee put it together. hp and quicktime use the manifold to support the head unit as well as the hp. the bg and quicktime use mild and only offer ceramic at additional cost. as far as the hp goes do not even go there. i personally know of 4 guys who are still waiting for there stuff from hp at 6-7 months. you need to check the turbo forums and search the feed back. do not trust what the magazine say about them. straight up crooks.

longrodLX

Established Member
I ordered an HP kit for my 99 GT and I had the kit within 3 months. That was the exact wait time they told me it would be. The quality of the kit was great, I had no problems with customer service and the numbers were awesome.

As far as not being able to make 500rwhp with the quicktime kit I have no clue where you came up with those numbers. There are plenty of guys making a lot more than that with the quicktime kit. I will post my numbers when Im done installing my kit but I am shooting for 475-525rwhp on 8psi with a very very safe tune on my 347. And as far as the turbos headunits go the master power units are descent turbos. They are just a non name brand type turbo but are great for someone on a budget trying to get into the turbo game. I upgraded my kit to the precision PT6776 turbo for only $250 more which is a steal. and it comes with a no questions asked 1 year warranty. I cant wait......I have been thinking about installing the kit on my bone stock 302 thats in the car and seeing what it can do then throw in the 347 after the summer just for fun

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
The Hellion kits aren't that bad to work around. I have a Hellion T66 setup on my 93. Its about the same to work around as it was with my Vortech setup. Plugs are a little hard to get too on the passenger side, but you can get them. I'm happy with mine. I bought my kit used with about 10miles on it. So price is definately a factor. Hellions aren't cheap, but they're very nice & I plan to buy one from them for my 86

Speaking of, when do I get to ride in that bitch? Or at least see it?!

Users who are viewing this thread