What Weight Oil for Supercharged Enngines?

Tim Comer

Established Member
What Weight Oil for Supercharged Engines?

I did a search and didn't really find what I wanted to know. Most threads break down on what brand oil to use. So what's a good weight? Right now, I have 5W-20 Mobil 1 in it, but it is due for an oil change soon.

Last edited:

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Per unleashedbeast

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. *RD30 must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles*

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).
Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
Leaving the factory fill in for a while then I'll use 5w30 on the first change. I have serious doubts 5w20 is going to hurt anything though even with occasional drag strip use.

Tim Comer

Established Member
Let's be honest. Have any of these engines had an oil related failure? But it looks like, with what little I can find, 10W-30 is my best bet for this engine. I don't drive it when it's below 50 degrees. I just thought the 5W-20 might be a little light so that Ford can getter gas mileage.

Charliesgramps

Established Member
You need to consider both brand and weight when choosing. Picking a non-synthetic 10W30 isn't the same as picking a good quality synthetic 10W30.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Amsoil signature series 10w-30

I just swapped over to this from the factory filled oil. I have about 1,000 miles on the Amsoil and so far so good, no noises and I have driven it in temps below 25 degrees. Oil pressure has been normal in temps 25-70 degrees. Will be using this from now on.

vortecd

Established Member
Amsoil signature series 10w-30

X2

Also doing the once a year oil change with it. I drive the car from April -November. Worked great last year so I'm planning on doing it again. Even under hard driving the oil will go 15,000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread