What will it take to win? Ls1 swapped fc vs '12 GT500

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
A little back story. There's a kid running around who wants to race my car really bad. The things I know about his car are that he's totally gutted, ls1 from a ws6, ls6 heads and cam, I believe a t56, and 4:10s with a decent tire. My car is 2012 performance pack with axle backs. I figured pulley, intake and tune would be a pretty damn close race. I weigh around 275 and he's a pretty small guy around 140.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Weight difference?

probably at or over 1000lbs

I could be wrong but his car should be making what, maybe 400 at the crank? Pulley your car down as far as you can and put a good tire on the back. He might get you from a dig but you'd probably run him down after a couple gears.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
#1. F this kid any anyone else. What somebody says shouldn’t bother you.

#2. Your toast in a race. You don’t have tires, power, or suspension mods that are 1/4 mile oriented. Let alone the time and practice to use and master such mods. With only exhaust, I’m just going to say you’re not used to racing this car and can’t drive it to it’s full potential.

#3. Race at the track.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
#1. F this kid any anyone else. What somebody says shouldn’t bother you.

#2. Your toast in a race. You don’t have tires, power, or suspension mods that are 1/4 mile oriented. Let alone the time and practice to use and master such mods. With only exhaust, I’m just going to say you’re not used to racing this car and can’t drive it to it’s full potential.

#3. Race at the track.
I've owned the car for over a year at this point. The reason it is pretty much stock is I've had a huge move in the past year and vehicle mods went on the back burner. I've had probably over a dozen serious races with the car and haven't lost a single one yet. It's not so much that I care what anyone says or thinks but it's more so I'm super competitive which I suppose in a sense is exactly what you're referencing. The closest 1/4 track is over 4 hours away from here.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As is, that RX7 will win. Even if the cars were the same weight, he already has a 139LB advantage. A gutted RX-7 is way lighter than a GT500 at stock weight. My 2011 on the scales with half tank of fuel is just over 3810. Just googling an FC RX7, its curb weight is 2954 lbs. !!!!! Gutted? Probably closer to 2600 lbs.

So, you in your GT500 are 4085 lbs. He in his car weighs 2740 lbs

HCI LS1's are about 425 at the wheels I think. You with pulley, intake, off road H pipe and IC cooling mods are probably 530 WHP with a good torque curve. Its a lot more aggressive than his NA LS1. You lose by power to weight and traction.

Him: 2600/425WHP= 6.11 lbs per hp

You: 4085/530whp= 7.71 lbs per hp

To Have a shot against him, you need to be making 670 RWHP. At the engine that's 800 hp. You wont make that with the stock M122 supercharger.

Youll need at least something like this:

07-12 Shelby GT500 Mustang 750HP TVS Supercharger Upgrade Kit

A bap, 2.4" pulley, off road H or X and race fuel are a good idea. to get to 800 crank HP.

Youll need a rear sway bar relocation kit to fit 15" rear drag wheels. Probably need the 315 ET Street Radial pro if its street no prep. If its at a track, 15" Bias Ply Hoosier or Mickey Thompson. If you guys do race, please be smart and race at the track!!!!

Suspension mods you will need at a minimum:

Adjustable LCA
LCA relocation brackets set at the lowest hole
Adjustable UCA
UCA mount with bolt in the lower hole
Adjustable panhard rod

^^^^ Will get your instant center under the car and the power planted correctly. If you don't do all these, its not even worth lining up.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
As is, that RX7 will win. Even if the cars were the same weight, he already has a 139LB advantage. A gutted RX-7 is way lighter than a GT500 at stock weight. My 2011 on the scales with half tank of fuel is just over 3810. Just googling an FC RX7, its curb weight is 2954 lbs. !!!!! Gutted? Probably closer to 2600 lbs.

HCI LS1's are about 425 at the wheels I think. You with pulley, intake, off road H pipe and IC cooling mods are probably 530 WHP with a good torque curve. Its a lot more aggressive than his NA LS1. You lose by power to weight and traction.

To Have a shot against him, you need to be making 670 RWHP. At the engine that's 800 hp. You wont make that with the stock M122 supercharger.

A bap, 2.4" pulley, off road H or X and race fuel are a good idea. to get to 800 crank HP.

Youll need a rear sway bar relocation kit to fit 15" rear drag wheels. Probably need the 315 ET Street Radial pro if its street no prep. If its at a track, 15" Bias Ply Hoosier or Mickey Thompson. If you guys do race, please be smart and race at the track!!!!

Adjustable LCA
Adjustable UCA
Adjustable panhard rod

^^^^ Will get your instant center under the car and the power planted correctly. If you don't do all these, its not even worth lining up.

Post of the day right here and 100% on point.

OP.. time for a bigger blower LOL.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Adjustable LCA
Adjustable UCA
Adjustable panhard rod

OP is going to do $4-5k in mods to street race some punk in a Frankenstein rx7? Hmmm...

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I had also heard that he was neck and neck with a fbo and cam ls2 gto. We're also at about 4200 feet elevation.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I had also heard that he was neck and neck with a fbo and cam ls2 gto. We're also at about 4200 feet elevation.

No matter what the outcome of the race you have already lost.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Racing is 60% physics, 20% skill, 20% luck according to me

In OP's case the RX guy has less mass to accelerate with more power per pound than OP has. OP has a stronger torue curve and more power and torque, but he's got a lot more mass to get moving.

Im sure the RX7 is every bit the shitbox we think it is. But that's why he's calling out OP. The more higher end "nice" fast cars he can race and beat, the more feelings he's going to hurt.

Either acknowledge the kids car is fast as hell and forfeit, or get the power you need in your car to take him on. Just know that no matter if you race him and win by just a little bit, or race him and lose he still wins. Youll have to race him and destroy his car to not only win the race but keep the respect.

That car is out to hurt feelings and build his ego first, win races second.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Racing is 60% physics, 20% skill, 20% luck according to me

In OP's case the RX guy has less mass to accelerate with more power per pound than OP has. OP has a stronger torue curve and more power and torque, but he's got a lot more mass to get moving.

Im sure the RX7 is every bit the shitbox we think it is. But that's why he's calling out OP. The more higher end "nice" fast cars he can race and beat, the more feelings he's going to hurt.

Either acknowledge the kids car is fast as hell and forfeit, or get the power you need in your car to take him on. Just know that no matter if you race him and win by just a little bit, or race him and lose he still wins. Youll have to race him and destroy his car to not only win the race but keep the respect.

That car is out to hurt feelings and build his ego first, win races second.
...and that little car will hurt feelings. I am certain of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
My buddy has a 93 Rx7 similar to the described car, we race it at local scca events. It has a 510whp ls6 and is an animal. It beat up on his 15zo6 corvette by 3 seconds in a 55 sec course. Driver has a lot to do with the outcome.
I wouldn’t put my nice car against a slapped together car that a kid has. What if he gets out of control and wipes your car out? What if you get out of control and wipe yourself out? Do the suspension mods and get sticky tires when you can and do it on a prepped track. Practice practice practice

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blackoyote

Established Member
Not sure where the poster above got almost 3k pounds for an FC and 2600# gutted...those cars were light. 2700ish, so you could be dealing with a 2200-2300# 400whp car.

Users who are viewing this thread