What Would Equal Length Headers Do?

az20115.0

Established Member
ok fellas. Obviously what you see here is what causes the GT350 to sound like it does. I can't help it wonder how much power these manifolds are robbing. And did anyone think what this car would sound like with equal length headers? Oh boy, I get excited just thinking about it.. Imagine a Ferrari but throatier, deeper, a and louder..

2016_Ford_Shelby_GT350_Mustang_V8_Exhaust_Manifold.jpg

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I think if anything, long tube headers will tend to just make it louder and more poppy. It probably won't change the tone too much. I think that the likely reasons it sounds more like a Coyote motor than a Ferrari motor are the relatively long stroke for an FPC V8, and the the UDUD (up, down, up, down) crank layout, which makes the firing order dramatically different than a Ferrari UDDU crank.

I agree that those stock headers are probably leaving a lot on the table compared to a long tube though. I'm trying to substantiate a rumor that the Voodoo motor gained 75hp just by uncapping the headers when Mahle was testing it. Lots of people are saying that happened, I'm just trying to find a source. It's very possible in my eyes, because a Ferrari 458 Italia can gain 70whp and 60wtq with headers and a tune. The FPC loves a very high flowing exhaust.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If I owned one, headers and a catless X-pipe would be my first mods (and I'm usually an H-pipe fan) with a gear and a tune.
I appreciate the engineering SVT put into the stock manifolds, but this engine design should really respond to long tube headers.
-J

az20115.0

Established Member
This header layout is still very odd looking to me and i cant help it think it is done for sound tuning only, to preserve that classic Mustang sound.. much like 180* headers make a regular CPC V8 sound like a Ferrari , those gt350 manifold may just be doing the opposite.. so imagine equal length all evenly going to one collector.. hmmm.. only time will tell I guess

ex1040.jpg

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
I heard a Pantera in 1984 with 180 degree header like above, and it would raise the hair on your neck, fast enough to scare you too. Long tubes will make a big difference on this motor, it should be mandatory.

az20115.0

Established Member
The whole point is though, that the 180* headers make a normal V8 sound exotic. BUT those strange looking headers in my first post that Ford put in the new GT350 look the way they do, because Ford is trying to do the exact opposite with the GT350.. does anyone else think so?

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Equal length headers will be a huge improvement. I'm not sure what the sound will come out like, but I'd imagine much more like a masaratti gran turismo coup.

Power wise, even mid or short equal length headers will decidedly outperform long tubes if the long tubes in question aren't equal length.

On a flat plane crank layout, equal length headers even the exhaust gas charge pulses which basically completely optimizes the flow.

Unequal length long tubes would benefit an fpc, just as they would a cpc v8, but not nearly as much as equal length headers would.

I think:

Unequal length (plus a tune):
-shorty + 10-15whp
-mid length + 15-20whp
-long tubes + 25-30whp

Equal length (plus a tune):
-shorty + 30-45whp
-midlength + 40-60whp
-long tube + 60-75whp

Couple those headers with catless x, high flow mufflers, calibrated cai/maf and maybe a throttle body and some colder plugs, some pensoil ultra, etc etc and I bet 550whp will be pretty easily attainable.

E85 for 600whp, some cam and head work for 650whp from 5.3L

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
With equal length headers and the FPC firing order, would an X pipe even be needed?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've seen some interesting headers for the GT350. It will be very interesting once these cars get in the hands of the aftermarket.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The factory crossover on the GT350 is an X design. I'm curious what an H or no crossover at all would do to not only the sound, but the power, if anything at all.

gt350 exhaust.jpg

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I knew it had a factory X pipe, but I'm just curious if, with proper equal length headers, the X pipe will be needed. I'm sure we'll see soon. I bet there will be a few new exhaust combinations used on this engine to see what works the best.

krt22

Established Member
^^ Is that diagram from an R or regualr GT350? if those resonators are that close, might be a bit more work to have a shop cut them out.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Those look like resonators to me. It doesn't look like it would be hard to cut them out though.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
These S197 and I assume the S550 with similar exhaust are very temperamental with exhaust tone, at least to me and my '14.
Maybe I should clarify, if removing the stock cats or mufflers, leaving the resonators will sound better
-J

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I understand your point, I just think a lot of regular GT350 owners will remove the resonators so that it will sound like the R. I never removed the resonators from my 2013 for the exact reasons you stated. Too much rasp and drone.

Users who are viewing this thread