What would you do??...

JP_Stang

Established Member
I sold a guy two Walbro 255 fuel pumps recently. Both of them were in my car and running when I dropped the tank to upgrade my fuel system. I put the two pumps, one intank and one inline, up for sale, packed them up and shipped them to this guy. He contacts me tonight saying neither pump works. He said that he hooked them straight to the battery and neither pump works. Now he is wanting to send them back to me and wants me to refund his money.

What would you guys do? I don't want to get a bad rep for this, but I have no clue what this guy did to "test" these pumps. I know they worked for a fact! If he fried them, then I am stuck with two garbage pumps and no money for them.

Help me with this guys!

DirtyMcArthur

BIG RED
Established Member
I sold a guy two Walbro 255 fuel pumps recently. Both of them were in my car and running when I dropped the tank to upgrade my fuel system. I put the two pumps, one intank and one inline, up for sale, packed them up and shipped them to this guy. He contacts me tonight saying neither pump works. He said that he hooked them straight to the battery and neither pump works. Now he is wanting to send them back to me and wants me to refund his money.

What would you guys do? I don't want to get a bad rep for this, but I have no clue what this guy did to "test" these pumps. I know they worked for a fact! If he fried them, then I am stuck with two garbage pumps and no money for them.

Help me with this guys!

You're right when you say that you have no clue what the guy did to them, if they're even the ones you sold him. Be wary, as long as you know they worked when you sent them out and you packaged them correctly, he could very well be scamming you. No refunds IMO

JP_Stang

Established Member
I agree with you on this. If he hadn't already connected them to a circuit and just decided he didn't want them anymore, I would refund him. But the fact is, they worked when I shipped them off, my car was running with them! He got them, hooked them to a circuit and now either one work. He says he hooked them to the same circuit at that. If just one of them didn't work I wouldn't have such a hard time believing it, but both not working just doesn't make sense and sounds fishy to me.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Maybe talk with him about the proper way to test them? Or have him take them somewhere to check the electronics to make sure he didn't fry them...

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
If you are stupid enough to test pumps dry then you deserve to suffer. As long as you are being straight about them working then it's his ****ing problem.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I talked with him on how he tested them. He told me he put a straight 12V to them. I asked if he used he relay and he said yes, then he said he hooked them straight to the battery. All of these were different texts, so I got three different answers. Towards the end of our conversation he explains that he removed his stock "inline" pump and put the ones I sent him in its place and got nothing. Then tried the intank pump I sent him and also got nothing.

To be honest, I feel none of that is really relevant. My car was running on those exact pumps when I removed them. The fact that neither work now makes me think there was a wiring issue. I just can't see how refunding him is the right thing to do. Then I'm stuck with two broken pumps that I did not break and out my money.

I tell you what though, this the last time I sell anything electrical over the forums. In my honest opinion, and I feel this way on both ends of the spectrum, when you buy used parts, once that money is exchanged and you receive that part, that deal is done. I have been in this guys shoes before myself. I bought a MAF from a guy once that didn't work. He also refused to take back an electrical part because he didn't know if I wired it wrong or anything like that. I ended up losing that money, but at the same time I understood why he didn't refund me.

JP_Stang

Established Member
If you are stupid enough to test pumps dry then you deserve to suffer. As long as you are being straight about them working then it's his ****ing problem.

I agree! I have 100% feedback. I wouldn't ruin that for $150! I buy and sell all my parts on these forums. Those pumps were working when I shipped them. Like I said, my car ran on those pumps without one issue ever. I made a bunch of upgrades once my motor was broke in and the stock fuel system and those two pumps weren't going to cut it, so I upgraded my entire fuel system with a big external pump, braided lines, rails, etc. there was nothing wrong those pumps.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Disclaimer: Used parts are sold with no warranty expressed or implied. All sales are final. Absolutely no refunds.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I let the guy know that I couldn't refund him under these circumstances. He was really cool about it. He is a good guy and I really hate this for him. I wish the best of luck to him.

jrandy

Established Member
Disclaimer: Used parts are sold with no warranty expressed or implied. All sales are final. Absolutely no refunds.

:beer:

It's a shitty situation all around, as you don't want to be the bad guy. But, why should you have to pay him for his mistake (assuming he damaged them)?

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
:beer:

It's a shitty situation all around, as you don't want to be the bad guy. But, why should you have to pay him for his mistake (assuming he damaged them)?

That's the thing.. OP doesn't know if the buyer TRULY damaged them..

OP, I would say what everyone else has said though. Once a deal is done, it is done. Go about your business.

Users who are viewing this thread