whats a 1965 GT-350 worth

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
A true Shelby would bring some major bucks. What kind of condition is it in? If it still has the original motor/tranny and runs, then it isn't going to be cheap.

HELLION

Established Member
its all original and its a ture shelby GT-350 people inherit it does not know anything about the car other then its a 65 mustang car can be got for cheap like 5,500 I know its worth more but not sure how much the tag on the vale cover and fender match # is 0007

KduncSS

Established Member
If it is a true Shelby, and that is the price....buy it immediately. That is a steal and would be one hell of an investment.

svt2205

Established Member
Have you talked with anyone at SAAC to verify the Ford VIN matches the Shelby VIN?

I'm realy curious about your comment regarding the valve cover tag and the fender number match. 0007. Post the whole VIN and a photo as soon as you can.

asperformance

Banned
Yes me too, I have been to a few SAAC conventions and I haave never seen a Number on a Valve cover, If this is a true Car, do not post the Ford Vin# call Howard Pardee and have both numbers confirmed. It is fine to post the Shelby number should be 8 Digits, also is th door tag on it? , I am going to look in my Shelby book at home and see the last place #7 was know to be. Sent you a PM also with an offer on the car.

svt2205

Established Member
Other then a very limited history back in 1965, there is nothing else on this car. It is not "in the registry" per se. Only listing what info SAAC had.

Early 65 cars don't have 8 characters, they were 7, this car, if for real, predates the "S" or "R" designation

66 Shelby, which one? Wonder if we've crossed paths. Long time, about 18 years, SAAC member. Email me at [email protected] if you want

amorrow

Established Member
You mean you actually got SFM5007 (no S or R designations on the prototype cars including #7)? Show me some pics...

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
...and I hope you cross-referenced the VINs (Shelby and Ford) through the Shelby Registrar, for there is literally only one person in the world who can truly authenticate your car.

Regardless, the price you paid is great for even a halfway decent '65 Fastback, so congrats!

KduncSS

Established Member
^True, even if it isnt a real Shelby, he still came out good on the price. If it is in fact real, you may have just gotten the deal of the century.

Rodcobra

Established Member
Pics please . I would like to see whats its like to win the Lottery .LOL :D

svt2205

Established Member
While we are still waiting to see what it is Hellion found. I did learn that SAAC is very familiar with a clone of 007 that has been floating around for the past few years. Whereabouts of the real 007 is unknown. Possible Hellion found it, but between info he's posted here and the same thread he started over in the GT500 section, leads me to believe he's not found the real one.

But anything is possible. So where are the pics dude.....

amorrow

Established Member
Shelby Mustangs are relatively easy to clone, and it takes a good understanding of them to recognize authentics versus clones. Even many original Shelbys today are missing many of their correct parts (16" steering wheel for the early ones, original Koni shocks, etc). But it would be interesting to see pics of the Ford VIN stamping on the inner fender (feel free to block the last several digits, but as I'm sure you know it HAS to begin with 5R09K) and cutouts for the override traction bars to start...these two things are the easiest ones to check. If someone really tried to pass this off as the real thing, I'm sure these two things are correct, though. Can you take pics of the override bar cutouts and Ford VIN? Also, is it apparent body work been done on the car, or do all the panels look original (focus on that driver's side inner fender with the visible Ford VIN stamping)?

Last edited:

HELLION

Established Member
Thanks for all the info iam going to some time this week pull the finder back on the car and see the vin also going to video the car and try to get it on here things that i have comfimed is fiberglass hood,16" wood wheel battier in trunk and holes drilled for the a-arms

amorrow

Established Member
It is a good idea to check all the VIN stampings, including ones hidden by the fenders (Ford usually stamped the VIN in two or three locations, only the one under the Shelby tag being visible without removing a fender). You know, you can simply remove a rivet from your ID tag to check the VIN at least begins with 5R09K. Is your hood all fiberglass, and does it have a hole cut in the middle?

I'm anxious to see pics!

DRAG PACK BOSS

Established Member
Congratulation on your find.I found this article and thought you may find it of some interest.
john Christy, editor of Sports Car Graphic was no stranger to Shelby American, he was one of the first people to drive CSX2000, the first 260 Cobra built. He spent some time at Shelby's School of High Performance Driving as well as being active in SCCA racing. It was natural for him to be one of the first to get his hands on a GT350 and it turned out to be 5S007. Christy then convinced Shelby to allow him to do a 12,000-mile reliability study on the GT350, which consisted of driving through 25 states. In order to make the trip a memorable one .............(with photos) he took along Charlene Megowan as the photographer. The story came out in two parts found in the June and July 1965 issues of Sports Car Graphic.By the way I have the july 1965 issue.

.Your car has a interesting history.Good luck!!!D.Thompson

Users who are viewing this thread