Whats a dead coil look like?

8bangin302

Thank you Ford!
Established Member
I need to know what a dead coil looks like,and are they on the stock springs in a 94-98 mustang gt.Also if its cut off how low would it drop the car.I need to know asap

Hockeyman48

Established Member
I would not cut coil off to lower it ,considering the age of the coils.In fact I wouldn't do it if they were new. Get new lower springs.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
do you have a pic? anyone ive ever helped cut springs, ended up collapsing a couple weeks later. ended up riding rough as a buggy, sitting un-level... i would just get a set of purpose-springs and lower it.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
do you have a pic? anyone ive ever helped cut springs, ended up collapsing a couple weeks later. ended up riding rough as a buggy, sitting un-level... i would just get a set of purpose-springs and lower it.

It really depends on what kind of spring you are cutting. Cutting a stock spring is a terrible idea. When I got my GT, it has cut stock springs and It rode like you said, like a buggy. But I cut a half coil on my roommates H&R SS front springs, and there is absolutely no difference in ride quality. I've cut a couple sets of aftermarket springs and never had one collapse on me. Although, I have heard of cut stockers collapsing.

To the OP: set the car on the ground so the car's weight is on the springs. Get down and look at the spring. The coils that are sitting on each other and touching each other, are "deadcoils". But like I said, you really shouldn't cut stock springs.

8bangin302

Thank you Ford!
Established Member
well i got 4cyl fox springs in the front cut 1 coil and stock spring in the back cut 1 1/2 coils and it rides better than stock..this is only temperary until i get coilovers,cause it looked like someone put a lift kit on my car.

But i got what i needed to know,thanks.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
It really depends on what kind of spring you are cutting. Cutting a stock spring is a terrible idea. When I got my GT, it has cut stock springs and It rode like you said, like a buggy. But I cut a half coil on my roommates H&R SS front springs, and there is absolutely no difference in ride quality. I've cut a couple sets of aftermarket springs and never had one collapse on me. Although, I have heard of cut stockers collapsing.

To the OP: set the car on the ground so the car's weight is on the springs. Get down and look at the spring. The coils that are sitting on each other and touching each other, are "deadcoils". But like I said, you really shouldn't cut stock springs.

i was only refering to stockers, i havent ever cut a aftermarket... but thats good to know if someone wants it done:beer:

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
I have H&R SS coils up front with half a coil cut off and rides great. I think ima cut another half just to get it where i want it to sit.

Hey 8bangin302, I have set of front and rear coil overs with shocks and struts for sale if your interested. PM me.

8bangin302

Thank you Ford!
Established Member
I have H&R SS coils up front with half a coil cut off and rides great. I think ima cut another half just to get it where i want it to sit.

Hey 8bangin302, I have set of front and rear coil overs with shocks and struts for sale if your interested. PM me.

how much you asking?
It will be a while before im able to get some tho.

Users who are viewing this thread