What's broke game

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Let's play the what's broke on my beater pos 205k mile 1996 4cly 5speed 2wd ranger.

Bought for $800 and it's had a rough life.

Clutch works fine until the truck gets up to temp. Then the clutch gets hard to push. Clutch slips like crazy. Let it cool and we are good. Seems that it's only really bad in traffic. As long as I drive it's good. This make me believe something it getting too hot.

Ready set go!!! What would you fix first? Lol

Part of me thinks it's boiling fluid. Ok but why would it be getting so hot? Old clutch needs to be replaced? Is the trans getting too got? Hmmm I don't wanna spend cash on this. Only need it to last another year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
2001 Toyota 4x4 275K AC lags in triple digits

06 GTO 125K, broke 4l70

Great reading comprehension guys.

I believe it has a hydraulic clutch setup, so definitely check your clutch fluid. You may have an issue with the slave cylinder. I don't think you have air in the system as that would cause a soft pedal. The master cylinder could be faulty as well.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Great reading comprehension guys.

I believe it has a hydraulic clutch setup, so definitely check your clutch fluid. You may have an issue with the slave cylinder. I don't think you have air in the system as that would cause a soft pedal. The master cylinder could be faulty as well.

oh, I thought he wanted to talk about what is broke on our cars also.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Boiling fluid wouldn't cause it to slip. Spongy clutch pedal and engagement/disengagement issues would be with boiling fluid. Other than needing a clutch it could be fluid overfilled and when heating up expanding causing slave cylinder to push on the fork causing slip.

MG0h3

Established Member
Haha...when I saw the first two responses I thought maybe I misunderstood the OP.

Looks like that system uses the internal slave...lame! The fact that you have both a hard pedal AND a slipping clutch makes me think that the slave is seizing when hot.

First thing I would do is crack the bleeder while its failing. Its possible that its holding pressure maybe from a faulty line. I dont think this would give you the hard pedal though.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ha naw guys this isn't a "what broke in my shit" post lol. So far the majority is slave cylinder soo on to rock auto I go. If this doesn't work. What next? This thread steers the boat lol.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ha naw guys this isn't a "what broke in my shit" post lol. So far the majority is slave cylinder soo on to rock auto I go. If this doesn't work. What next? This thread steers the boat lol.

My next item would be the master cylinder.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
[QUOmTE=five.slow;15403496]Let's play the what's broke on my beater pos 205k mile 1996 4cly 5speed 2wd ranger.

Clutch works fine until the truck gets up to temp. Then the clutch gets hard to push. Clutch slips like crazy. Let it cool and we are good. Seems that it's only really bad in traffic. As long as I drive it's good. This make me believe something it getting too hot.

Part of me thinks it's boiling fluid. Ok but why biscuit getting so hot? Old clutch needs to be replaced? Is the trans getting too got? Hmmm I don't wanna spend cash on this. Only need it to last another year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Throw out bearing!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
[QUOmTE=five.slow;15403496]Let's play the what's broke on my beater pos 205k mile 1996 4cly 5speed 2wd ranger.

Part of me thinks it's boiling fluid. Ok but why biscuit getting so hot? Old clutch needs to be replaced? Is the trans getting too got? Hmmm I don't wanna spend cash on this. Only need it to last another year too.

Throw out bearing![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't you expect a noise with that though?

pwrshft99

Established Member
I chased problems with that hydraulic clutch setup the entire time I owned my Ranger.

On the bright side $200 at Rock auto will replace the slave, master and clutch. Not to hard to install but a bitch to bleed by yourself.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Throw out bearing!

Wouldn't you expect a noise with that though?[/QUOTE]

Not always. What you are describing exactly matches what happened to my brother-in-law's pickup. No funny sound, no screeching metal. When we pulled the transmission we were still thinking clutch or cable ... until the throw-out bearing fell apart into little pieces when we touched it.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Oh yea I forgot. The clutch has always been jerky, grabby, bouncy. One of those describes it. Just shitty. Always had to slip it quite a bit to start moving.

Ordered a a new clutch and slave with bearing. So we will see what's up. Should be fun fixing this turd in my garage on jack stands. At least the trans is like 50lbs unlike the mt82 out of my last car that I had to pull while on jack stands.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Update! Got the trans out. Here are pics. I ran out of latex gloves(I won't work without them. Can't stand scrubbing my hands for 30mins to remove grease). Clutch is still in so tomorrow I will forge on with project piece of f**k daily beater lol. Apparently something use to live in the bellhousing.

d6af974eeb2e8bb97ba3f758b5c6f80b.jpg
c2e0f89bb71d6d2a8ad5664cc43615c6.jpg
f2f4b38446fd466bf51ee95c638d671e.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread