whats going to happen in this situation

DAkid

VLC & AAS
Established Member
i got a ticket late last month for speeding. now yesterday (friday) a cop stopped me again! this time he got me for speeding again i was going 38 and he said i was going 40 in a 35. he also got me for no front plate and my insurance card was expired.. im trying to see whats going to happen. the cop didnt tell me anything about the other ticket. i know the one that stopped me yesterday was HPD (houston police dept) and the one that stopped me late last month was a sheriff.. can someone let me know please. thanks guys

DAkid

VLC & AAS
Established Member
oh yeah BTW my record is clean ive only had one more ticket and that was when i was like 16. now im 21.

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
DAkid said:
...this time he got me for speeding again i was going 38 and he said i was going 40 in a 35.

Take it to court! Case law gives you "five miles per hour" for speedometer error.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
BEAVER SNIFFER said:
Take it to court! Case law gives you "five miles per hour" for speedometer error.

Really? You have precedent common law for Houston that makes that a reality? Specific cases that cant be distinguished?

DAkid

VLC & AAS
Established Member
hmm i didnt know that was true... ill have to check further into that. thanks

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Can you show that case law? I routinely issued citations in school zones for 5 mile overs and never lost one.

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
mswaim said:
Can you show that case law? I routinely issued citations in school zones for 5 mile overs and never lost one.

The defense I suggested is effective when alleging or proving that the speedometer is/was not operating correctly. I am not a traffic lawyer, I learned of this defense by word of mouth. I will try to cite a source if I have extra time.

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Really? You have precedent common law for Houston that makes that a reality? Specific cases that cant be distinguished?

I live in California. I am sure a Houston traffic lawyer would know.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
BEAVER SNIFFER said:
The defense I suggested is effective when alleging or proving that the speedometer is/was not operating correctly. I am not a traffic lawyer, I learned of this defense by word of mouth. I will try to cite a source if I have extra time.

In other words, no.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
SID297 said:
In other words, no.
+1

I love the people that come on here that say they are this or that, but can't back most of thier stuff up or are going by hear say. Im not saying you are, but for all we know, you could be a 15yr old with a keyboard and a vast imagination. This is one of the reasons that "The Donut Shop" is so closely watched by the Mods, bad advice like what you gave can really screw someone over.

Example in Wisconsin:

346.57(5)
Zoned and posted limits.
In addition to complying with the speed restrictions imposed by subs. (2) and (3) , no person shall drive a vehicle in excess of any speed limit established pursuant to law by state or local authorities and indicated by official signs.

No where does it give a grace area. No where does it give an justification for comitting the offense or even pardon it as an act of necessity. If your speedometer is broke, it's your problem.(That is a citeable offense as well) Speeding is an offense not concerned with the mens rea (Criminal Intent), only if the offense occured.

Last edited:

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
I love the people that come on here that say they are this or that, but can't back most of thier stuff up or are going by hear say. Im not saying you are, but for all we know, you could be a 15yr old with a keyboard and a vast imagination. This is one of the reasons that "The Donut Shop" is so closely watched by the Mods, bad advice like what you gave can really screw someone over.

PM sent.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
BEAVER SNIFFER said:

Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to and never quote a source unless you have the "extra time".......................

Also - In CA, I don't believe you are required to have a speedometer, only an odometer that works and is accurate to within manufacturers specifications.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
A conviction for a moving violation will acess two points on your traffic record. The No Front License Plate is not a moving violation. Iv'e said this many times to get it put on !!! The insurance ticket (could) come back to bite you pretty hard if you don't take care of it. The state will suspend your driver license and add surcharges. There would be no need for the officer to say anything about a prior stop. I know of NO case law on the five mile per hour here in Texas. Also, once you get six points on your traffic record get ready for suspension of your license and those lovely surcharges.

lowdrag

Established Member
BEAVER SNIFFER said:

On the contrary, in most cases traffic offenses are considered absolute liability. That pretty much means that excuses like my speedometer was off or I didn't realise I was speeding or that the light was red don't count. With an absolute liability offense, the only point of argument is you did it or you didn't.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
I could definitely see enforcing the school zones, but seriously...how many of you law enforcement officials would site someone for 5mph over the speed limit? (excluding highly populated residential areas, such as neighborhoods and school zones)

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
I could definitely see enforcing the school zones, but seriously...how many of you law enforcement officials would site someone for 5mph over the speed limit? (excluding highly populated residential areas, such as neighborhoods and school zones)

In reality (excluding school, construction zones or special enforcement areas) most would not.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
That 5 mph "window" that people are accustomed to is nothing more than the police officer being nice. Going 1 mph over is, in essence, speeding. Granted keeping a car at eactly 35 mph on bumpy roads and so on is not going to happen but saying that it's LEGAL to go 5 mph over is incorrect.

-Mike

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
Sonik Blur said:
That 5 mph "window" that people are accustomed to is nothing more than the police officer being nice. Going 1 mph over is, in essence, speeding. Granted keeping a car at eactly 35 mph on bumpy roads and so on is not going to happen but saying that it's LEGAL to go 5 mph over is incorrect.

-Mike

Showing evidence that the speedometer was off is a defense that will work if citation is 5 mph or less over the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread