Whats my IRS worth?

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
Hey guys, throwing around the idea of going SRA. The IRS has less than 5,000 original miles on it. It has the level 5 half shafts and the kenny brown brace. I bought the car with 4,300 miles on it and the work was already done by sgs automotive out of dillsburg, pa. Believed to be 4.10 gears in the rear. Never had any issues with it what so ever. Thanks guys!

Teej281

Established Member
Well I paid $400 cash for mine in my GT, although many day that was a steal and it was stock. If you're trying to sell it, pull the level 5's if you have the stockers and sell those outright. If you have to sell it all together, you're going to maybe get like $1300-1500, I believe. I know me personally, lvl 5's aren't really all that much of a benefit, and for the market that would be buying your IRS, I wouldn't think they are that much of a selling point as most are going to be gt's and such that have sub-300rwhp and don't have as much issue with snapping stuff. Just my .02 man. I could be way off my block, and for your sake I hope I am.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
On here you will get beat up on the price because of all the IRS bashers. Ebay seems to get the highest price. Think long & hard before you devalue a low milage sonic car and stick a solid axle under it. I was just talking with a friend /member on here and told him that we should start collecting Eatons & IRS assemblies. 10 years from now everyone will want them back in these cars. The price of the stock Eatons has already doubled from what you could pick one up for in say 05-06. I know an older (smart) guy around here that used to remove all the original mechanical Rodchester fuel injection units off customer's old 60's Sting Rays years back. Nobody wanted them becausse they didn't undrerstand them. He saved them for years and had 100's of them. He bought a high end winter home in Fla for cash with the $$ he made selling them back to restoration shops.

Unless you are making a drag car out of it strickly, there is little to no advantage replacing it with a straight axle. There are sevral guys out there running in the 10's with stock axle IRS's in there 03-04 cars.

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
On here you will get beat up on the price because of all the IRS bashers. Ebay seems to get the highest price. Think long & hard before you devalue a low milage sonic car and stick a solid axle under it. I was just talking with a friend /member on here and told him that we should start collecting Eatons & IRS assemblies. 10 years from now everyone will want them back in these cars. The price of the stock Eatons has already doubled from what you could pick one up for in say 05-06. I know an older (smart) guy around here that used to remove all the original mechanical Rodchester fuel injection units off customer's old 60's Sting Rays years back. Nobody wanted them becausse they didn't undrerstand them. He saved them for years and had 100's of them. He bought a high end winter home in Fla for cash with the $$ he made selling them back to restoration shops.

Unless you are making a drag car out of it strickly, there is little to no advantage replacing it with a straight axle. There are sevral guys out there running in the 10's with stock axle IRS's in there 03-04 cars.

Very good information and I have thought it out pretty hard. It does concern me about the value of the car in years to come. Not too much on the car is stock anymore though. With the power that I am going to be making, my builder fears of snapping the 5's or even pros if I do any hard launches with it. Im just trying to build it as reliable as I can. Iv been looking at the Team Z 9in which I believe with the 32 or 35 spline should be ok. BTW Beautiful CO!

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
my irs had the bruce full tilt boogie upgrade bushing kit and still had stock shafts ... with 60k miles on it i got $950 for mine

that was selling it without shocks and springs

Users who are viewing this thread