What's Necessary to Install a T-56 in a 99 Co

2JZFAN

Established Member
I have a 1999 Cobra with IRS and a 2003 Cobra T-56 transmission. I know someone must have done the swap on their car. I'm looking for a list of everything you needed. Things like, driveshaft and transmission brace. I need to do it this weekend so I'm really in need. Thanks for taking the time.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
tranny, driveshaft, rear driveshaft yoke, crossmember, and i suggest a better clutch and flywheel....if you DON'T go for a T56 out of an '03 cobra, make sure it is for electrical speedo and not mechanical...

2JZFAN

Established Member
I have the T-56 rom an '03 cobra in my garage..

I will need:

The driveshaft from what? an '03 Cobra
Which yoke?
A 2003 Cobra crossmember?
Also I was told I may need a speedcal..? I have a T-45 in the car now and I am putting in them OEM '03 Cobra T-56 transmission.. any ideas?

I have a Mcleod Dual Performance and pressure plate along with a Fidanza 10.5" billet alu flywheel going in as well.. Ijust need to clear up the driveshaft, speed thingy, and crossmember..

So far I've found out i can use the 2003 crossmember and it will bolt right up.. I still don't know about the driveshaft.. as in which one.. and the speedo setup.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
only thing i'm not sure of is the driveshaft length...D&D should be able to tell you that...and for the yoke on the front of the d/s just need to make sure it's the right spline count for the T56. I don't think you'll need a speedcal, the sensor in the tranny should send the right signal and you computer should have the rear end gear ratio already stored in it....but if it turns out you do need a speedcal, it's not that hard to install afterward....clutch sounds good, make sure the clutch disc hub is splined the same as the T56 input shaft....
also, if you're selling your t45, how much you want?

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
you will basically need the following. A clutch, flywheel, tranny, drive shaft (if you have the IRS you will be fine with a stock 03 cobra shaft if not its going to be a custom.) and a modified crossmember or stock 03 cobra member. All other things are already in your car. Your stock t45 will unbolt and the T56 will go in the opisite way the t45 came out. You may have to modify the body just a little. A hammer will take care of that. Here let me help you alot. Read this except you will be fine with a stock 03 cobra brace and drive shaft. http://www.stangnet.com/pbullitt/tremect56/index.html

2JZFAN

Established Member
Sounds good, I appreciate the link and the words of advice. A member of another forum supplied the ford part numbers for what i need and I'm ordering them tomorrow to come in on Satuday. Saturday afternoon my buddy and I will attempt the swap.. I'll do my best to write up something to help others. Thanks again!

AzDropTop

Established Member
Great thread! I was just wondering the other day how hard it would be to do the swap. What does the t 56 cost?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by AzDropTop
Great thread! I was just wondering the other day how hard it would be to do the swap. What does the t 56 cost?

too much....keep the t45 unless you just want six gears or are going for big par....

2JZFAN

Established Member
Will do guys.. for information sake I have some updates.

My stock stuff was shot.. my 3rd-4th fork was broke in half.. my TOB was under the thing in the clutch fork instead of over it.. no grease at all.. clutch had pieces falling off.. flywheel may be fix-able.. and pressure plate was done. My transmision fluid looked more like silver paint.

Going into the car is a McLeod Dual Performance 10.5 clutch, Fidanza Billet Alu flywheel and Promotion Modified King Cobra Pressure Plate.. Also Walt at promotion told me a trick G-Force is doing on their T-56s.. they put a 1/2in. spacer on the pivot ball where it threads into the tranny. By doing this you allow earier shifting and better clutch dis-engagement.. most of all easier smoother shifting.. Bonus is that it looks like the T-45 crossmember fits on the T-56 and with minor modification will fit on the car. I'll keep you all posted on Monday when I finish. Ford closed early and my driveshaft didn't come in..

Ps - I got my T-56 local from a buddy of a buddy at Ford for 1,000 with 1,100mi on it out of an '03. Also I believe a T-56 is $2,800.00 retail or cost can't remember, somewhere around there..

Last edited:

SVTHorsnake

Banned

didn't nuxx just sell a wrecked 10th anni to somebody around here? I'm sure they'll have a good 56...

99SVTAddict

Established Member
A Viper T56 tranny just cost me $2200. Shop ordered it and picked it up from D&D.

So far I like it....but now it's in storage for the winter :cryying:

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
From the sound of things, I'd say the D&D Performance Viper kit is a better deal. I got everything I needed to put mine in the car, including a clutch, flywheel, and shifter for a hair under $3500 shipped to my door.

As for the install, it wasn't what I'd call easy, but it wasn't impossible either. I didn't have to modify the body at all, just took some creative thinking to get the trans into place.

2JZFAN

Established Member
Well everything is in place now.. just waiting on Ford for the driveshaft and crossmember.. They're giving me the run around..

As for the deal thing.. I look at it this was.. G-force didn't have any T-56 program when D&D had the Viper T-56.. I was going to get a D&D Viper T-56.. I located a OEM T-56 for $1,000.00 used under 1200mi. when I send it to G-Force this summer.. it will cost me some cash.. but it will handle around 900hp plus all the other goodies that sets the G-Force apart from other T-56 transmissions.. This was my reason.. it may not be the same for everyone.. until now the D&D was the only option.

Back to the install.. everything is in.. except for the parts i'm waiting on Ford for. So far so good.. my only issuse is with the speedo cable.. on my 99 it's part of the harness and the connection is on the left of the transmission. On the T-56 it's on the passenger side. My transmission also included a cable which looks like it plugs into something on the 03/04 Cobra. So on my 99 it's part of the harness.. on an 03/04 there is a plug which plugs into a female side then has cable that goes to the speedo plug on the transmission. I'll have pictures up later to better explain.

It looks like I'll have to find an extension or start cutting and just make them into one..

All is well, Ford never delivers on time.. we'll see tomorrow when they should be coming in.

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by 2JZFAN
Well everything is in place now.. just waiting on Ford for the driveshaft and crossmember.. They're giving me the run around..

...clip...

Back to the install.. everything is in.. except for the parts i'm waiting on Ford for. So far so good.. my only issuse is with the speedo cable.. on my 99 it's part of the harness and the connection is on the left of the transmission. On the T-56 it's on the passenger side. My transmission also included a cable which looks like it plugs into something on the 03/04 Cobra. So on my 99 it's part of the harness.. on an 03/04 there is a plug which plugs into a female side then has cable that goes to the speedo plug on the transmission. I'll have pictures up later to better explain.

It looks like I'll have to find an extension or start cutting and just make them into one..

All is well, Ford never delivers on time.. we'll see tomorrow when they should be coming in.

Cool deal man. D&D installed mine for me. I got a used 03 Cobra trans w/ 50 miles on it. Best thing I ever did for the car. See my sig for the parts I bought.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by djtech
Cool deal man. D&D installed mine for me. I got a used 03 Cobra trans w/ 50 miles on it. Best thing I ever did for the car. See my sig for the parts I bought.

Do you mind throwing out a ball park figure on price for the whole deal?

2JZFAN

Established Member

That's awesome bro, so how do you like it.

I went about the same route.. I did a Fidanza Alu, McLeod Dual, Modified King Cobra, Pro Motion Quadrant, Pro Motion Firewall adjuster, pro motion adjustable cable, and I did a mod to the pivot that G-Force does.. It feels great.

I have everything in and a jack holding the tranny up just waiting or ford for the brace now.. driveshaft and new rear pinion is in.. fluid is in.. shifter is half on.. tomorrow will be a good day! :beer:

Also I have pics I'll be putting up.. but I suggest everyone get the firewall adjuster and quadrant similar to the one I did.. you won't believe the differences.

djtech

Established Member
Do you mind throwing out a ball park figure on price for the whole deal?

Not cheap but I feel so much more comfortable power shifting now so it's worth ever penny. I still have over $1500 on my credit card to pay off :bash:

Anyway if memory serves me correctly it was $2000 + the price of the trans. The Billet flywheel was around $400 and so was the driveshaft. I think labor came in around $500.

I got lucky on the trans price. I talked a guy down to $1550 shipped :D

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by 2JZFAN
That's awesome bro, so how do you like it.

I went about the same route.. I did a Fidanza Alu, McLeod Dual, Modified King Cobra, Pro Motion Quadrant, Pro Motion Firewall adjuster, pro motion adjustable cable, and I did a mod to the pivot that G-Force does.. It feels great.

I have everything in and a jack holding the tranny up just waiting or ford for the brace now.. driveshaft and new rear pinion is in.. fluid is in.. shifter is half on.. tomorrow will be a good day! :beer:

Also I have pics I'll be putting up.. but I suggest everyone get the firewall adjuster and quadrant similar to the one I did.. you won't believe the differences.

I'm soooooooo happy I had it put in. I don't like my gear ratio now though. First is a taller gear in the T56 versus the T45. So with my stock rear ratio 1st goes to almost 60MPH! It is almost impossible to launch at the strip. I either spin the tires off or bog it down. I'm going to 4.56's soon :rockon:

I think you'll love it! Great choice on clutch/pressure plate combo. The duel friction disks work great.

2JZFAN

Established Member
I'm soooooooo happy I had it put in. I don't like my gear ratio now though. First is a taller gear in the T56 versus the T45. So with my stock rear ratio 1st goes to almost 60MPH! It is almost impossible to launch at the strip. I either spin the tires off or bog it down. I'm going to 4.56's soon :rockon:

I think you'll love it! Great choice on clutch/pressure plate combo. The duel friction disks work great.

Glad to hear! What gear is in there now, the 3.27??? I have 4.10s but am taking them back today for 4.30s.. I think that's all I want to run.. I am addinga Novi in the next 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread