Whats safer

vemom93

I have a 93 cobra block. Just bored it .030, and forged internals. Lowered the compression to 8.1. e-303 cam, and brand new valve train, rockers to valves, everything. The whole motor was ballanced, and cleaned way up. I was wondering if you guys could let me know what would be the longest lasting life of the engine of all three options. 1st option was a kenne bell 2.2 blow with flow. 2nd would be either procharger or vortech v1 s trim. Last would be a hellion turbo kit. I need to know what would be safest application to my car. None of wich would have more than 10 psi... And maybe just the pros, and cons of each would be cool too.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
I would have to say the turbo kit for sure....

A really good friend of mine has the HP twin turbo kit, and that thing is just SICK!!!! So you will be very very happy with the turbo kit, (IMO don't get a supercharger)

vemom93

really... I always thought turbos were like hair dryers. Burning up rings, and shit. Is that just if you have insane boost? Whats wrong with a supercharger?

Last edited by a moderator:

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
(IMO)- Just really don't like'um, Turbos are just much better than a superchargers. Lets say there are two cars out there, ONE having a Supercharger @ 19lb of boost making 600rwhp, OK. The other car having turbos it will take alot LESS boost to make that same RWHP, it would take like 12lb of boost to make that same 600rwhp, IMO turbos are just better than a supercharger. The one thing I do like a supercharger, it is boost right away, turbos have (turbo lag) but when the boost kicks in HOLD ON!!

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
i would say that the centrifugal supercharger would be the easiest on an engine. i feel a draw through setup is easier to tune and ultimately a better tune than blow-through. maybe hellion is a draw through setup, ill have to check.

also, you have a lot less cyllinder pressure at lower rpms with a centri. this, i think would make it "safer". less detonation prone, less heat, etc.

depends on how you drive it, though. like was stated above, you can generally make the same power on less boost with a turbo. less boost; less heat. so you dont have to spin it as hard to make power; same with the kenne bell.

for reliability, id go vortech, but if i had the money, Hellion is simply AWESOME! a very good friend of mine has one and the only problem he has had is he is on his 3rd set of head gaskets due to a bad tune. the kit, however is great.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
The KB's do create more heat but can do quite a bit with 10psi. Turbo's could do better, but they are harder to tune and is more expensive. A centri like a Vortech is I believe less stressful on your engine and can still make decent power for the money. I have to say though it's ALL in the tune. I just got back from going to a different tuner in San Antonio ( I live in Houston). In houston I was making 480rwhp and it was shitty for a daily driver. After coming back from San Antonio with I would say the BEST tuner, I made 550rwhp. 70rwhp difference all from a tune. Not only did I make more power, it also drives like it's stock. So whatever you choose, just to make sure to get the best tune to go along with the power adder to make sure the engine doesn't blow. :thumbsup:

vemom93

gues not. In austin the best dyno tunner around was ccs tunning. But then they moved to san antonio. Alot of people still go. I probably will too, just because they have such a good rep. But they are alot farther away now

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Well if you have a problem with your daily driving...go to Murillo in SA and you'll be thinking you were driving a stock cobra..not to mention the extra horsepower he can get you at a safe tuning level. :thumbsup:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I wouldn't say any of them are truly easier/harder on the engine. It's all about the tune and how you drive.

TRBO VNM

I understand you are showing 3 options. but if you are talking about easier on the engine, then there are really only 2 options there when talking about stress on the motor. Why? 2 of the options are belt/motor driven and 1 option is only dependant on the exhaust gases that the motor produces.

so you tell me what is more stressful on the motor. your answer is in your question and options really. as posted, you can make the same power with a lot less boost with a turbo setup as you would with more boost from the roots or centri blowers. so what are your goals for the car in terms of power?

whatever the goals are, you will make that power at less boost with the turbo. more boost, more crank case pressure, more stress on the motor. Screw the tuner right now. considering you get a good tune, that is irrelavent. The same tuner isn't going to cause more stress on the motor with a SC or Turbo. Not only that, a good tuner will have no problem tuning a turbo setup. See my sig for my tuner. he is one of the best in the country because he understands the cars and how the software works and is implemented with the car.

with my setup at 9.5# I am making the same power people are making with 16+# with the eaton setup on these cars. And I am also running a lot less timing. so if you want to talk about safety and less stress on the motor, turbo is really the only way to go.

and you can easliy change the boost within seconds while driving. A SC'ed car you have to change pullies and no matter what you are running the same boost. I can drive to the track on 93 octane and run 10-15#. Get to the track and in seconds while putting higher octane fuel in I get whatever other boost value I want. That is the beauty of turbo and boost controllers. now you need to make sure your tune is setup for the higher boost or change your tune at the track as well.

there are a lot of misconceptions about turbo's and some have been posted here.

I took a guy today for a ride. started with 10#, ended with 17#. He has a KB 03 cobra and spraying. he said my car definitely was faster.

and you can't say a turbo spooling up on 2-step isn't cool as shit sounding.

so if you haven't guessed, I say go turbo and since you mentioned Hellion, as in my sig I say go for it. Great group of guys at Hellion and customer service is awesome.

As nate said, if you have any questions let him or I know. :beer: you won't regret it. just find a good tuner.

you can chek the link in my sig for some pics as well. also check the terminator forum under Turbo Cobras for vids. although my first track vid was terrible due to clutch issues.

Last edited:

vemom93

Hey man its almost deff gonna be a turbo now. But I am looking between the Hp kit, and the hellion kit. They both look awesome, and both have awesome numbers. Almost identical numbers. I know you have to wait for the HP kit to be fabricated, and the hellion kits are premade. Is this why hellion cost about 500 dollars more? If I have a local hp dealer should I go with them? I hear such good things about hellion, but is it worth the 500 dollars, or is it just to get your turbo quicker? I have seen a cobra with the hp kit, and fell in love with it. I'm sure you have all seen the videos of it, its red with blue, and silver flames. Wow thats a car. Havent seen much on the hellion, but again I hear great things. Any advice. If you cant tell I am in a vice. I have about 4k right now.

Oh is there anything wrong with an e-303 as the cam for a 7-10 psi turbo? I hear they might have overlap problems? I just put it in my car. it would suck to rip that all back out and all, but will if its important

Last edited by a moderator:

TRBO VNM

C0BRA93 said:
Hey man its almost deff gonna be a turbo now. But I am looking between the Hp kit, and the hellion kit. They both look awesome, and both have awesome numbers. Almost identical numbers. I know you have to wait for the HP kit to be fabricated, and the hellion kits are premade. Is this why hellion cost about 500 dollars more? If I have a local hp dealer should I go with them? I hear such good things about hellion, but is it worth the 500 dollars, or is it just to get your turbo quicker? I have seen a cobra with the hp kit, and fell in love with it. I'm sure you have all seen the videos of it, its red with blue, and silver flames. Wow thats a car. Havent seen much on the hellion, but again I hear great things. Any advice. If you cant tell I am in a vice. I have about 4k right now.

Oh is there anything wrong with an e-303 as the cam for a 7-10 psi turbo? I hear they might have overlap problems? I just put it in my car. it would suck to rip that all back out and all, but will if its important

I wish I could answer all your questions. I haven't researched their fox kits since I have a cobra. regarding your cam question I would call John. I just spoke to him about an hour ago. I haven't looked into the fox HP kit either so I am not sure about the cost difference. could be parts and materials used. I don't think having it in stock will drive the price up. John is just a firm believer that he have stuff on the shelf to sell instead of selling and then having to fabricate. Of course he could run out of kits depending on the demand, but he doesn't like having a customer wait months while he fab's one up.

if you are installing yourself, I don't see a need to go to a local dealer unless that is the kit you are looking to get and they give you a hell of a price. Or if they work out some great deal on the kit and install price.

cobra93, check your PM's. just got some more info on the hellion.

Last edited:

vemom93

The info helped alot. I will make sure and refer back to you personally for all my future questions. Sounds like your the guy that knows. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread