What's the best intake/header combo

PhantomX

Established Member
I want to do an NA build. Everyone does a lot of boosted applications so I figure I'd be different. Besides something about beating other boosted cars when your NA is just fun. So you NA guys out there that went nuts what are some of the better combo's? Here's my thoughts...

CJ Intake and matching throttle body or go super stealth and port the stock intake (anyone have any luck with that?)
Long Tubes but I have no idea what really works and actually makes good power instead of flushing $1000 down the drain for 5hp.
Aluminum drive shaft
BMR Tubler K Member
Maybe cams but not sure if that's worth it.
Finding a good tuner that can work with NA setups, I know a lot who do well with boosted but NA seems to be more of a challenge, maybe I like a good challenge who knows lol. My current VMP tune seems pretty damn awesome as I've beaten cars with Boss Intakes and TB's installed and I'm still on the stocker.

i'd like to get the car in the 10's NA and be a pretty good roll race car since that's just what really happens out on the street. Now the car runs pretty damn good for what's done (JLT, O/R X, VMP tune). Actually beat a built GTO with heads/cam/LT's/etc that supposedly put down 520rwhp so it's strong runner as it is. A lot of times it's about getting the "right" parts that really work well together to maximize what the car can do.

I thought I saw a post here about LT's but I don't remember if he actually got anything more out of it with them. Are they worth it? I know my old 4.6 was crap with them actually lost power.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
LT's on their own might only be worth 5 hp/tq but with a full IM, CAI, Tune combo they are worth the extra 10-12 hp/tq.
Id say for all out gain your best bet would be CJ IM, SCJ TB, Kooks LT's & AED/Lund Tune w/ E85 fuel. Add in the Cams if you'd like but if your gonna do that might as well do ported heads $$$

Good Suspension setup is key to get it all to the ground....along with sticky R compound tires!
Your looking at 450-470 rwhp with the above combo, cost woful be in the $4k w/o heads/cams or $6-7k with the install of heads cams.
Thats all a guess on price & hp ratings as they vary car to car.

Last edited:

PhantomX

Established Member
They does sound like a pretty good combo. FYI love your car it was one that gave me a lot of ideas so thanks for that. I do have Nitto NT05R's out back, BMR springs as well and it hooks pretty damn good! I think your pretty close on prices too. CJ IM/TB combo is about $1300 now and headers about $1000 or so. Not sure I want to dig into the heads with that kinda coin might as well go FI! I thought about E85 as well but it's so hard to find around here.

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments man!
I have Stock IM, Accufab TB, CAI (w/insert), Hi-Flow Cats & AB and Kooks shorties w/VMP Tune....
My output was 415 hp 400 tq BEFORE I dialed in the tune, not sure what it is now but the tune has been revised a bit.
I have a full suspension (LCAs, Relo brackets, Struts/shocks, sway bar, watts link etc) and 285 MT Street comp tires.

Im happy with the car, although if I was to do it all over agin I would NOT have bought/installed the headers.
Im NOT gonna go with a different IM since I want low end useable power (Im running 3.31's)...my only other power mod on deck is a 1-pc Drive shaft.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Just did a set of cam's and springs in my GT, was a slow hellish pain to install in the car. If you end up going with cams, just make sure you never have to pull them again and go to a different grind.

Users who are viewing this thread