What's The Difference between a Pocket PC or PDA?

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I am looking for a new phone to get and I hear this all the time Pocket PC, PDA or Smartphone.... Are they all the same just different names to refer to them as? My provider is with T-Mobile, so I'm kinda looking for one where I can put my SIM card in. What is the current top of the line ones out there now?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
svtcobra2k3 said:
I am looking for a new phone to get and I hear this all the time Pocket PC, PDA or Smartphone.... Are they all the same just different names to refer to them as? My provider is with T-Mobile, so I'm kinda looking for one where I can put my SIM card in. What is the current top of the line ones out there now?

A Pocket PC, like a Treo, is a handheld computer with a standard operating system and can run regular PC based programs, but the phone is a second thought.

A Smartphone is a phone first, with internet capability and some of the functions of a pocket PC. But it is a better phone than a PC.

A PDA, doesnt have a phone attached to it usually and is usually a dayplanner type device.

I had a TREO, which I liked a lot, but the phone portion of it sucked. I now have a Smartphone, which the phone is great, but the computer part is not as good as the TREO.

Users who are viewing this thread