What's the Difference

Lightning Gurl

Established Member
I was driving my 2nd Gen Lightning the other day and I came across a 1st Gen. I was wondering what's the difference between the two engine? :read:

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
To sum things up, the first gen L used the old 5.8 351ci motor rated at 240hp, naturally aspirated.

Last edited:

Lightning4130

Established Member
totally different the gen 1's motor is in the windsor family of motors as the gen 2's a modular family motor

Lightning Gurl

Established Member
Man I am such a girl. I have a few questions referring to your responces.

What do you mean by "Windsor?"

Does the term N/A also refer to no supercharger? I am used to hearing it used as no turbo.

Thanks Guys! :rolling:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
The Gen 1 has a naturally aspirated 5.8 '351 cubic inch' pushrod engine.
The Gen 2 has a supercharged 5.4 '330 cubic inch' overhead cam engine.

4 cam bird

Established Member
There were a few versions of the 351. One being the Windsor that was in the 1st gen Lightnings. Another was the Clevland and the 3rd was the M or Modified. The Cleveland and Windsor are totally different engines so something had to be done to note a difference between the two, which was done by naming them after the cities the plants were in. So the Windsor fmily refers to the type of Ford push rod small block made at the Windsor plant, the 302's are also windsor engines. The 302 is the short deck block, the 351 is the tall deck block.

Lightning4130

Established Member
windsor is a '' motor '' family in the ford line
i belive it was the 289 the 302 and the 351 windsor
and as in '' modular '' family 4.6 and the 5.4

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Windsor was originaly a 'small block' 351 that was built in Canadia rather then the 'big block' 351 'cleveland' that was built in....well, you can guess!
I (beleive) the Cleveland originated in Cleveland, but was built in Detroit after the cleveland motor plant had closed. Im also pretty sure Clevelands were discontinued during the gas price problems in the mid 70s, and ford just continued making the windsors until they flat out discontinued pushrod V8s (jackasses)

Am I close to being right fellas?

MICHAELPAUL

Established Member
The 351 in the G1 is a much better engine then the 5.4. in the G2 lightning. The 351 is cheeper and easier to work on, almost all performance parts from a 5.0 mustang will fit. IMO!:) :)

Last edited:

Matt95L

Established Member
Originally posted by MICHAELPAUL
The 351 in the G1 is a much better engine then the 5.4. in the G2 lightning. The 351 is cheeper and easier to work on, almost all performance parts from a 5.0 mustang will fit. IMO!:) :)

:rockon:

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
If I got my hands on a White Gen1 for a reasonable price, I wouldnt hesitate to buy it!

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
I think white is the best looking color for a gen 1. I was thinking about getting a white gen 2, but I'll probably get black of course. :)

Brian Baskin

Established Member
351s are cheaper, stronger, have a better aftermarket, and can be made more powerful. (there's a 10 second Gen1 on the stock short block in NJ). It's debatable that the trucks are better designed, and looks are subjective. But, they do handle better, weigh less, and are easier/cheaper to work on. They have dual air seats, for driver and passenger, with adjustable lumbar and bolster support. Aluminum driveshafts, stiffened frames, one-off rear end carriers with added cooling fins, factory oil cooler, factory tranny cooler, and added traction slappers bars. They drive hard like a hot rod and can take the abuse.

Stock for stock is the only place the Gen2 beats the Gen1, and that's only on 1/4 and top speed. :D :rockon:

Last edited:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the 351 blocks changed in either '94 or '95... don't recall off hand for sure though.
I had all the info written down at one point and it had gotten stolen before I got to put it on my page.
:fm:

Otherwise... here's some more G1 Lighting info Here.

Users who are viewing this thread