Whats the hottest pepper that i can get from the local store?

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
As the title says, whats the hottest anything actually that i can goto Harris Teeter, Wegmens, Food Lion, Bloom, or Safeway and get. we need it for someone that loses a bet

SNCBOOM

Established Member
At a normal chain grocery store; probably a Habanero.

Habanero-Red.jpg

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Habanero. The ones I put in my salsa are orange. I use 2 jalapenos, 1 serano, and 1 habanero if Im feeling brave.

Common

Established Member
My friend got these little peppers called Ghost peppers. He tried to get me to try them, I declined but I did try the sauce made from them, smallest POSSIBLE dab on my finger!

I SHIT YOU NOT, MY EYES FELT LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO BURN AND POP OUT. I COULDNT TASTE ANYTHING ON THAT PART OF MY TONGUE FOR DAYS.

racer94lx

Salt & Vinegar Chips>All
Established Member
Oh yes, the Ghost Pepper! Hottest pepper in the world. You definitely can't buy that in the grocery store lol. I've been tempted to order some though.

But yes, Habanero is the hottest from the grocery store.

95kobrah

Established Member
My friend got these little peppers called Ghost peppers. He tried to get me to try them, I declined but I did try the sauce made from them, smallest POSSIBLE dab on my finger!

I SHIT YOU NOT, MY EYES FELT LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO BURN AND POP OUT. I COULDNT TASTE ANYTHING ON THAT PART OF MY TONGUE FOR DAYS.

Yea, the Bhut Jokolia or "Ghost Chili" is the hottest pepper in the world, but I doubt you'll find them at any of the chain grocery stores you mentioned.

The hottest peppers i've ever found in a normal grocery store is a Habanero, which are extremely hot to me but my buddys Fiance eats them like they aren't hot at all.

That Adam guy from Man VS Food couldn't handle the Ghost Chili, and i've seen him eat some wicked hot stuff. If you can find one, thats the ticket.

Edit: Check out this wiki page, shows how hot a ghost chili is compared to other chilis... its not far off from Police pepper spray!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale[/ame]

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I went to Harris Teeter's website and the hottest thing they have shown is a Habanero. I would think they would be hot enough to take care of a bet.

If not you can use this:

Dried Ghost Chilies | Marx Foods

The Ghost Chile (aka Bhut Jolokia) is so named for its "ghostly" bite. It is known as the hottest chile pepper in the world. This pepper is only reserved for those who wish to add true fire to their dishes.

Scoville Heat Rating: 855,000-1050,000

WARNING: Use gloves and avoid touching your eyes when working with hot peppers. Especially when using ghost peppers. Contact of capsaicin with sensitive tissue can cause intense pain and injury. Also, packages may include small fragments of rope, which the chilies are tied to while being dried.

Applications: Ghost Chile Peppers are extremely hot. Use them sparingly, add a little to fresh salsa, sauces, chili and anything else you want to start a 12 alarm fire with.

media.nl;jsessionid=0a0101441f4325f5872dca76405ab8cadc29e37fc820.e3eSc3uNaNuTe34Pa38Ta38Qchj0

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Red Savina habanero's are probably the hottest pepper you can consistantly find on most store shelves. I'm sure in some locals in the South West they may carry a much larger selection. At 350,000 - 550,000 scoville units the Red Savina Habanero is plenty freakin' hot! The standard orange Habanero, a.k.a. the Scotch Bonnet or the standard Chili Habanero is rated between 100,000 - 350,000 scoville units.

The Ghost peppers Common mentions in his post are actually technically called a Jolokia pepper and they are from India. They rate between 850,000 - 1,000,000 scovill units!

U.M.

pepper_scale.jpg

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
He told me it was hot, but I didnt know it was the hottest pepper out there.

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
i used to work at a restaurant in college where all the cooks were straight over the border from mexico. The brought from home some little round orange peppers (probably the size of a pea, or maybe a little smaller). They got me to try one. I wanted to kill myself. Figures, as soon as I eat it i get sat 2 tables. I was trying my best to take orders but i couldnt stop sweating. The customers must have thought I was on drugs. Any one have any idea what this little orange pepper might have been?

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
If it looked like the picture below, it's an orange habanero. They are small, but not smaller than a pea. About the size of a grape or so.

2ni5n45.jpg

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
If it looked like the picture below, it's an orange habanero. They are small, but not smaller than a pea. About the size of a grape or so.

2ni5n45.jpg

the pepper i ate was definatly smaller than a grape. def no bigger than a peanut

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
the pepper i ate was definatly smaller than a grape. def no bigger than a peanut
Did they look like these?

tepin.JPG

Those are called Tepin's and are supposedly hotter than even the Jolokia's...

TEPIN (Capsicum annuum v. aviculare), the tiny round fruit, only 1/4 inch across, is only harvested from wild plants growing in the desert mountains of Northern Mexico, much hotter than any Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Red Savina® or Bhut Jolokia. Also called the Chiltepin and is one of the many types of chilies called Bird peppers.

U.M.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
my brother in law had me try his "home made bbq sauce" it was actully a ghost pepper hot sauce, ever since when i eat anything remotly hot jalapano and up, my viens pop outta my head if im wearing my glasses they fog up, my arms and ears turn bright red and i cant quit sweating, oh and the top of my head itches,

I never did that before,

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Habenero will do plenty good for this cause. I would have bet on a hot sauce challenge because they are much hotter then any pepper. I have a bottle that is 7.1 million Scoville Units. A drop the size of a pin head would trump any pepper.

Users who are viewing this thread