Whats the secret to rear brake calipers?

Grimlock

Established Member
I decided to check the rears (after having check the fronts to no avail), before I returned the brake pads and got back my $140 bucks for the 2 sets. Turns out the rears were 1/16" thick as opposed to the fronts which were 1/4" thick. :shrug: I cant explain why there was such a difference but Im stumped on how to change the rears out. :??: I was wondering where everyone obtained the tool to trun the caliper so as to compress it and install the new pads. I tried buying the autozone caliper tool but none of the adapters would fit.
Does Ford sell a special tool to compress the rear calipers or should I just shave the autozone tool with a file and rig it to work? Any help appreciated. Thanks ahead.:beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It has to do with brake bias, but usually the fronts wear out much faster then the rears. Also remember the pad material is not necessarily the same so they will wear different if that is the case. As for the tool the one I use is from Sears it is the Lisle Disc Brake Piston Tool Sears item #00946344000 Mfr. model #28600 and was only 12 dollars.
Here is a picture of it.
00946344000-dlv.jpg

Several people just use a pair of needle nose pliars, but due to the risk of pinching yourself I would rather use the tool.

torqued

Go Fast Turn Left
Established Member
I just did mine today. Used long nose pliers and turned the plug clockwise.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
DAMN i just tried doing mine the other day and had the same problem..decided to run it over to a local brake shop for the rears..i did the fronts myself in 30 minutes...lol

Users who are viewing this thread