whats the skinny with e85??

shadowcoupe

Im reading things about e85 that compare to 100+ octane. Is this stuff as good as it sounds? can i really run e85 in my ride?? 23degrees timing, 22psi on the KB...

btw, i was using the torco additive for a few years now, 2oz. per gallon of 93octane... so would i need a retune IF this e85 is the miracle fuel?

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
itll take more fuel system. My buddy runs it in his awd eclipse. The gains were nice but it also took about 30% more fuel system to supply the needed fuel

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Like stated above it will take more fuel and in turn a better fuel system. Fore sells e85 approved items (fuel rails, y blocks, top hat, etc).........The good thing about e85 as a replacement for pump gas is it burns cooler and will not detonate like pump gas. The main benefit over 100 octane race gas is the price per gallon.

If places local to me sold e85 I would have went with a return style setup (can easily purge the fuel system this way) with Fore's e85 parts vs. running pump/torco mix or spending the small fortune on race gas now and then.

Teej281

Established Member
Definitly need more fuel system with e85. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline does so you need more of it to suffice for the less energy. If you run 60lb injectors youre gonna at least need to go up to 90lb or better injectors to run e85 as well as the better fuel parts. And I think you want to use all aluminum parts in your fuel system as other metals typically used in fuel systems react and corrode when ethanol is introduced. But it is the poor man's race gas. People running turbos love it because the fuel mix is so rich and has so much mass that it spools turbos quicker and the fact that it burns cooler means you can run more timing with it as well. Definitly worth the research in my opinion. But if you drive your car regularly, you will see a nice mpg decrease due to the extra fuel needed. Hope this helps you out.

shadowcoupe

thx for the responses. i had no idea what was needed to us e85. sounds like a PITA... i have a Gas City near me that sells 100 octane, but it's $6.49/gallon....im considering just filling up there when needed :bash:

I dont drive my car all of the time, maybe a couple times on the weekends for the night time cruising. im just tired of mixing the torco, not to mention its still not race fuel....

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
The main problem with E85 is it is NOT constant in its mixture. When it is made depending on time of year yadda yadda... the octane will be different.

Users who are viewing this thread