What's up with the performance inconsistencies on the GT??

lthlvpr

Established Member
I read just about every car mag out there, and keep up to speed with performance testing, etc... Obviously not all magazines test cars the same way, but usually there is a decent amount of consistency among a car's performance. However, I have yet to see more inconsistency than I have read about with the Ford GT. Some magazines have acceleration times of 0-60 in 3.3 and 1/4 mile in 11.1 @ 132mph and others have tested it at 3.8 and 1/4mile in 11.7@ 125 mph. It gives me the feeling that Ford manufactured some ringers for the magazine tests. I have never seen a 7mph difference in the 1/4 mile for any other car. That is quite substantial and equivalent to almost 100hp difference.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this car seems to be performing so inconsistently? Inquiring minds want to know. One thought I had is that when the magazines compared it to the Enzo and Carrera GT could the Ford guys have used a smaller pulley in order to extract more power out of the car?? Sounds devious, but how else can you explain a 7mph difference in the 1/4 mile???

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Depends on where and when they test it. The 11.2@131 came at the proving grounds in arizona driven by Brian Herta, who happens to make his living racing cars. I doubt you'd see Csaba Csere lay down an 11.1@133 in a Carrera GT either. The last 11.6@125 I saw was done overseas, on who the hell knows what kind of track in what kind of weather with who driving?

Anyway you slice it, the car is a high 120's/low 130's machine.

Florida Chris

Established Member
lthlvpr said:
I read just about every car mag out there, and keep up to speed with performance testing, etc... Obviously not all magazines test cars the same way, but usually there is a decent amount of consistency among a car's performance. However, I have yet to see more inconsistency than I have read about with the Ford GT. Some magazines have acceleration times of 0-60 in 3.3 and 1/4 mile in 11.1 @ 132mph and others have tested it at 3.8 and 1/4mile in 11.7@ 125 mph. It gives me the feeling that Ford manufactured some ringers for the magazine tests. I have never seen a 7mph difference in the 1/4 mile for any other car. That is quite substantial and equivalent to almost 100hp difference.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this car seems to be performing so inconsistently? Inquiring minds want to know. One thought I had is that when the magazines compared it to the Enzo and Carrera GT could the Ford guys have used a smaller pulley in order to extract more power out of the car?? Sounds devious, but how else can you explain a 7mph difference in the 1/4 mile???

Forget for the moment that two identical cars from the same production run can have different characteristics of this magnitude. Even with the exact same car there are many factors that could account for difference-

-Driver
-Ambient temperature
-Track altitude
-Track conditions (traction)
-Mileage of car before test
-Inflation pressure of tires
-Quality of fuel

...to name but a few.

satx

Banned
I think some of it is the pre-production cars, and some of it is inconsistant tune.....I have seen 03 cobras trap anywhere from 108-112. The inconsistancy seems to go away after the car is dyno tuned.

barondw

Established Member
Also add the following:

was the track sprayed with traction aiding liquid (a very common practice)
was the engine packed in dry ice between runs
some pre-production cars were ringers with between 600-675 RWHP. these cars were shown to the press as "stock" vehicles and ran low 11's.
type of rear tires, drag radials or street

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
barondw said:
Also add the following:...
some pre-production cars were ringers with between 600-675 RWHP...

Boy I hope that was a typo...

lthlvpr said:
I have yet to see more inconsistency than I have read about with the Ford GT.

McLaren F1's had more. I saw 1/4 times from 10.8-11.5 and 0-100 MPH times ranging from 6.3 to 7.1. And there are a few reasons for it.

Last edited:

barondw

Established Member
I hope I said 600-675 RWHP. These were special cars for John Coletti and highly modified with such goodies as an additional pulley change, different supercharger, re-flashed or developmental computer, etc.

satx

Banned
barondw said:
I hope I said 600-675 RWHP. These were special cars for John Coletti and highly modified with such goodies as an additional pulley change, different supercharger, re-flashed or developmental computer, etc.

I doubt any of the press cars had that kind of power, with 600-675 RWHP we would see some CRAZY trap speeds.

edit.....I played with a calculator and it says with the GT's weight ~569 rwhp to trap 131 and ~624 rwhp to trap 135 for what it's worth.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
barondw said:

Whats your source? Thats a hell of a RWHP spread for press cars too...

You said they (the 600-675 cars) ran 11's. Hell I know you saw the article in MM&FF where a 4mm smaller pulley and DR's (no tune) ran 10.92 @ 128.07. I'd go out on a limb and -assume- that coletti gave one of these "ringers" to the MM&FF crew, cause I doubt (and I may be wrong) a 4mm smaller pulley on it's own will get a GT to even 600 RWHP. This is why I posted the typo comment.

What was the different supercharger?

So if by satx's calculations they would trap 7 MPH more @ 624 RWHP...
I'd love to know what fool got a hold of a GT with a average of 637.5 median RWHP and ran "11's".

barondw

Established Member
My source is FoMoCo. When purchasing I asked about a particular car. FoMoCO asked me if that was the car at Englishtown. When I replied yes they admitted that it was one of several "special" vehicles John Coletti concocted. No I could not expect to duplicate the low ETs he ran or dyno a stock GT at the numbers quoted.

Guys sometimes accept what people have to say without always saying what is the source. The source is impeccable. Today I felt like supplying the source many times I don't but it doesn't mean that the info isn't solid platinum. Just because others don't agree doesn't make any poster automatically wrong or suspect.

:beer:

barondw

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Whats your source? Thats a hell of a RWHP spread for press cars too...

You said they (the 600-675 cars) ran 11's. Hell I know you saw the article in MM&FF where a 4mm smaller pulley and DR's (no tune) ran 10.92 @ 128.07. I'd go out on a limb and -assume- that coletti gave one of these "ringers" to the MM&FF crew, cause I doubt (and I may be wrong) a 4mm smaller pulley on it's own will get a GT to even 600 RWHP. This is why I posted the typo comment.

What was the different supercharger?

So if by satx's calculations they would trap 7 MPH more @ 624 RWHP...
I'd love to know what fool got a hold of a GT with a average of 637.5 median RWHP and ran "11's".

The MM&F crew sprayed the first 200 yards of the track and dry iced between runs with huge cooling fans. The car coasted back from each run tro the staging area not to build additional heat. Only when the parameters were ideal did they start and do another run.

Its easy to run 11s and not be a fool based on tires, temperature and track condition. The car is not the easiest to launch from a stand-still.

Big 8

Established Member
There is only one press car in use in Europe. At least seven different magazines have tested the car. Fast Fords, CAR, Top Gear, EVO, Auto car etc. It was the same car as in the F430 test automobile recently did in italy.

The car has run different times with many of the different drivers. Many test for 1/4 mile etc were conducted on old airfields.

As stated before variations are due to driver and track and even car and driver was running stock goodyears when it posted 11.7 at 128!

Big 8

Established Member
barondw said:
My source is FoMoCo. When purchasing I asked about a particular car. FoMoCO asked me if that was the car at Englishtown. When I replied yes they admitted that it was one of several "special" vehicles John Coletti concocted. No I could not expect to duplicate the low ETs he ran or dyno a stock GT at the numbers quoted.

Guys sometimes accept what people have to say without always saying what is the source. The source is impeccable. Today I felt like supplying the source many times I don't but it doesn't mean that the info isn't solid platinum. Just because others don't agree doesn't make any poster automatically wrong or suspect.

So what were the times for the runs at Englishtown? What were the dyno numbers you could not expect to duplicate?

barondw

Established Member
I guess unlike some of you I have a life that involves doing other things than firing questions at people for whatever reason.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
barondw said:
I guess unlike some of you I have a life that involves doing other things than firing questions at people for whatever reason.
:cryying:
Well I'm glad you found the time to respond to us your highness :rolleyes:

Looks like being civil went down the in drain here...

LMFAO, enlighten us with your life you pompus prick. You've made QUITE an impression with your first ~30 posts here.

I can only imagine your monthly Assholes Anonymous meetings...
Hi, I'm barondw. I own a Ford GT & Z06, yet post bullshit content for the reading pleasure of the lowly screennames at SVTPerformance.com. I also think I'm above everyone cause I own these 2 cars.

If I left anything out feel free to add.

You get questions "fired" at you cause your full of shit. Plain and simple. You all but dodged my questions, then post that BS response above when someone else calls you out.

If you don't like questions because you can't back up your stories (and not for "whatever" reason), then get the f,u,c,k out of here, get an attitude adjustment, and figure out what the purpose of a message board is.

Last edited:

satx

Banned
50 BMG said:

LMFAO, enlighten us with your life you pompus prick. You've made QUITE an impression with your first ~30 posts here.

Hi, I'm barondw. I own a Ford GT & Z06, yet post bullshit content for the reading pleasure of the lowly screennames at SVTPerformance.com. I also think I'm above everyone cause I own these 2 cars.

You get questions "fired" at you cause your full of shit. Plain and simple. You all but dodged my questions, then post that BS response above when someone else calls you out.

If you don't like questions because you can't back up your stories (and not for "whatever" reason), then get the f,u,c,k out of here, get an attitude adjustment, and figure out what the purpose of a message board is.

:rockon:

Akuma

Established Member
50 BMG said:

Damn... :thumbsup:

venom279

Established Member
50 BMG said:

X2... :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread