Whats wrong with hypertech??

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
I just bought a 2003 Miner Gray Cobra and i'm in the market for a programmer but why does everyone flock to SCT and Diablo when the Hypertech gives the most horsepower and torque before swappping out the pullies?? Or am I wrong?? :shrug:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I don't have the answer to your question, but theres a chance that their tunes which have a result of more power is unsafe? I know in the diesel world there are some tuners you stay away from because they create a lot of power but your EGTs(exhaust gas temp) go threw the roof.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
They use SCT or Diablo because tuners use SCT or Diablo. No one tunes vehicles with hypertech.

TClark22

Established Member
yes...grab an xcal and be done...

i believe horsepower tv tested the hypertech on an 03 cobra, first with bolt ons, then with pulley upgrade...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeF4kZZ6jg"]YouTube - Horse Power TV - 03/04 Mustang Cobra[/ame]

jrandy

Established Member
i don't know if it was the hypertech tuner or not, but when the guy before me reflashed the ecu to stock, it fried the ecu.

TClark22

Established Member
just listening to the horsepower deal with hypertech...it sounds kinda wierd...

with just a tune it made 407rwhp...and with a 3" pulley it made 415...i would sure hope a pulley swap making 12psi over 8psi stock would make more than 8hp gain...shit i gain 35rwhp upping mine 2psi.

doesnt make sense.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
I use hypertech and it seems to get the job done. I can notice a difference on my bolt on mustang with the 93 power tune.

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
Sorry about posting in the wrong thread but horsepower tv was one of the main reasons i was going to buy a programmer. I thought is was kinda inpresive that without intake or exhaust with just a reprogram they got 43 extra hp to the wheels. I think sct only gives you an extra 25-30 before you start swapping pullies.

Last edited:

Silverboost

Established Member
I wouldn't believe anything on Horsepower TV. I watched that episode as well. Hypertech sucks bottom line. It has pretty much zero capabilities. If I was you I would pick up and SCT Excal II from a reputable tuner like Justin@VMP, RWTD, or Amazon. They will also give you a custom tune for you mods for no additional cost if you buy the tuner from them.

CADsnake

Established Member
I wouldn't believe anything on Horsepower TV.

+1

Notice in the video when they talk about the drivers side cylinder head. They even state that the blue paint means you have the updated head, which is totally false. The blue paint was just an inventory id tool used at the warehouse.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
You're wrong.

:lol:

I wouldn't believe anything on Horsepower TV. I watched that episode as well. Hypertech sucks bottom line. It has pretty much zero capabilities. If I was you I would pick up and SCT Excal II from a reputable tuner like Justin@VMP, RWTD, or Amazon. They will also give you a custom tune for you mods for no additional cost if you buy the tuner from them.

+1, Hypertech lacks the capabilities of an Xcal or Predator.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Sorry about posting in the wrong thread but horsepower tv was one of the main reasons i was going to buy a programmer. I thought is was kinda inpresive that without intake or exhaust with just a reprogram they got 43 extra hp to the wheels. I think sct only gives you an extra 25-30 before you start swapping pullies.

The extra horsepower advertised is irrelevant, HP is function of the engine and tuning perameters. Each vehicle, having been tuned properly regardless of tuner will make the same power, the tuner itself does not control power.You decide on a tuner based on the AMOUNT of parameters it can adjust to make that power.

Users who are viewing this thread