What's your family's X-mas tradition?

waydeg

Established Member
We have two traditions that we have carried on from our parents.

On Christmas Eve we have a group of friends over for our traditional meal of soup and bread. Usually 2-3 pots on the stove at one time, plus a couple dozen tamales. I'm not a big fan of the "bling-bling" Christmas, as I don't wear my faith on my sleeve. I do most of the Christmas things (lights, decoration, etc) for the wife and kids. I always thought Christmas should be more of a time for reflection as to how we live our lives, what we can do to be better people and for those who are Christian, a time to celebrate who we are. Soup is somewhat universal in nature, humble in origin and to us signifies the simplicity of the meaning of Christmas.

The second is pure selfeshness. My Mom always made a cinnimon, pecan and sour cream coffee cake. The wife has carried on the tradition.

What about you guys? What do you do special?

S197man

Established Member
tons of food, tons of family, tons of giving/recieving and tons of fun for the kids.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
we're very traditional with the mom's side. turkey/ham, comfort food, gifts, etc..she gave me and my siblings a nutcracker and santa clause fiqurine...for I would safetly, assume the better part of 18 or so years. She still has them and her entire living room looks like the front window holiday display at Pottery Barn.. Dad's side is much cooler. Every holiday, we've done somthing different than the year before. Did IHOP one year. Last year we did ribs and beer. This year.. kickin it "Christmas Story" style with a Chinese Buffet. He does "Christmas hats" as opposed to stockings, we help decorate his cactus in the livingroom. always has some obscure christmas album playing while opening gifts.:lol1::rockon:.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
When the adults are so drunk they can't go and get theor own beer, the kids bring it to them. They get a sip for this act of kindness.

Also: you can't pick a fight with someone too drunk to stand up.

It's all good fun until the cops show up.

My families Christmas carol would be Cheap Trick's "The House is Rockin' With Domestic Problems."

Jim Snover

99cobra302

Established Member
for years (12+) we (my parents and my sister and i) used to have people over on christmas eve and have a big party with drinking and food and everything. some of the people were neighbors some were parents and family of friends that i had made in highschool. one of my best friends lived behind me and he married a friend of mine (actually we were all part of the same group of friends in high school) whose family also came over on christmas eve. well they got divoriced this year after being married for only 8 months. so now we are no longer having the christmas eve party because we do not want to bring both family's together and have a big argument or be accused of taking sides in the matter. it is unfortunate that it had to end this way.

on the other hand maybe when i get home from work tonight, my family will all be hanging out and getting drunk waiting for me to arrive and start drinking with them and we will start a new tradition.:beer::beer:

LSUstang05

Established Member
Christmas Eve the family comes over and we exchange gifts between the family and have a small dinner. Usually enchiladas, salsa, queso, and a few cakes (strawberry cake this year made with real strawberries...absolutely amazing!!) and just hang out and talk about everything. Christmas day everybody does their own thing with Christmas and around 2 everybody goes to my aunt and uncles house for Christmas lunch/dinner and we usually watch some college football, throw the football, hang out some more, and generally have a great time. It's really nice to do now, especially since almost all of the kids (me, my cousin, and my brother) are off at college and we get to all hang out and just shoot the shit.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
We're Italian, its tradition to eat only seafood on christmas eve: octopus salad, fried calamari, linguine with clams, steamed mussels, bacalla (fried salted cod), shrimps.

On christmas morning we open presents, go to church, have some kind of family dinner, pretty standard.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Christmas Eve we go to my grandparents house with all the family(well the ones that will still come around, long, long story). Then when we get home I open presents with my parents. Then Christmas morning we get up and ill open presents with my GF. Then we eat a huge breakfast, then go back to my grand ma's for supper.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Our family tradition? Running around from house to house trying to spend a little time with everyone; it would start Christmas Eve and usually ended the evening after Christmas.

This year, Miss. WP and I had had enough if it and told everyone the bar opens at 12 noon at our house, come over if you like... We're having 22 family and friends over for dinner Christmas night. This house is soooooo stocked with food & booze, I got a 1/2 keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale sitting on ice outside; needless to say, our Christmas party started at 3 o'clock today at home and won't end till late Christmas night :pepper:

I will much prefer not having to travel any further than the wood pile in the backyard on Christmas day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread