What's your gap with a KB?

umustdv8

Established Member
I did some searches, but didn't see too much with the setup I have so... What gap are you guys using with an 03' Cobra with the KB. I have a little hesitation at WOT, as I shift into the next gear. It happens in every gear, every time. I'm going to have the car tuned again this week, because I'm putting either the 17 or 19 psi pulley on so this would be a good time to change the gap if I'm gonna. My Denso IT22's are gapped to .32

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
hesitation

The hesitation you are feeling is probubly due the the bypass valve opening between shifts as you lift of the gas..........but if not the gap is 32 at 19, 35 from 15-17 and 9-14 we use 40.......hope this is of help to you......hermann

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It is probably as Herman said the bypass. There are two ways to configure the bypass one is so that it works and the other disables it. Stock has a bypass that pulls both boost and timing between shifts this was done to increase the service life of the transmission. Mine is disabled.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
Is there any plausible reason why someone would (if you even can) get an aftermarket bypass valve?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
Is there any plausible reason why someone would (if you even can) get an aftermarket bypass valve?

Actually the KB comes with a bypass valve what we are talking about is really a boost dump valve. You don't need it as long as you are the only one who drives the car and you don't hit the rev limiter. You might as well disable it.

umustdv8

Established Member
I bet that's what it is. The bypass valve. It happens every time and in every gear. When at WOT and you shift into the next gear, once in the next gear- power drops off for a second, then it's fine. I play with it tomorrow and see what happens.

umustdv8

Established Member
Ok. I checked and the boost modulation is bypassed. However, the line for my boost guage is in that same line. Could that be why?

I think I'll try taking the boost guage line out of that loop and see if that helps. There's no adjusting the bypass, right? It's either valet mode or on.

stangin

Established Member
I have my boost modulation bypassed as well, but doesnt it still pull boost at idle? The funny thing is I hear a hissing that gets louder and quieter all the time under normal driving. I suspect even though the boost modulation is bypassed that the valve still pulls boost. This noise drives me crazy.. pardon the punn :) Question, what would happen if the boost vacuum line were to be removed and capped from the boost dump valve all together? It should remained closed all the time then correct? What are the drivablility issues?

Blades

Established Member
X2C Motorsports came out with a boost controller using the bypass, so the bypass must be "adjustable" in some way or another.. Good luck, it definately sounds like the bypass. Losing boost in between shifts.. You probably had it with the eaton but it wasn't as noticable because the drop in power wasn't as severe.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
i wouldn't bypass the valve altogether.....

If you don't like it hooked up to bypass the way you have it now, then hook it up the way it was done stock(but using the vacuum line directions per the k-b install manual) the instructions for doing it both ways are in the installation manual. If you are still having a problem then you probubly have a vacuum line leak or you may have a line in the wrong place. Anyway you look at it don't get rid of the bypass totally, it's there to add life to your blower by not straining the screw lobes by not letting the boosted air escape when its not needed. hermann

Last edited:

umustdv8

Established Member
Re: i wouldn't bypass the valave altogether.....

Originally posted by hpbyhermann
If you don't like it hooked up to bypass the way you have it now, then hook it up the way it was done stock(but using the vacuum line directions per the k-b install manual) the instructions for doing it both ways are in the installation manual. If you are still having a problem then you probubly have a vacuum line leak or you may have a line in the wrong place. Anyway you look at it don't get rid of the bypass totally, it's there to add life to your blower by not straining the screw lobes by not letting the boosted air escape when its not needed. hermann

Hey there. Are you the man that makes the KB oil spray tanks?

umustdv8

Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
I have my boost modulation bypassed as well, but doesnt it still pull boost at idle? The funny thing is I hear a hissing that gets louder and quieter all the time under normal driving. I suspect even though the boost modulation is bypassed that the valve still pulls boost. This noise drives me crazy.. pardon the punn :) Question, what would happen if the boost vacuum line were to be removed and capped from the boost dump valve all together? It should remained closed all the time then correct? What are the drivablility issues?

The hiss is normal. I have it too.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Re: i wouldn't bypass the valave altogether.....

Originally posted by umustdv8
Hey there. Are you the man that makes the KB oil spray tanks?

Yes he is. Due to forum politics I am not sure he can answer that question.

umustdv8

Established Member
Opps. I am a morron. It was configured for boost modulation. I bypassed it and it runs perfect now.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by umustdv8
Opps. I am a morron. It was configured for boost modulation. I bypassed it and it runs perfect now.

Glad you got it figured out! I went and checked mine the other day to make sure the screw has not backed out and left the valve open, it looks like a pain or impossible to fix with the KB installed..

Users who are viewing this thread