Wheel Bearing Confusion

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Ok, I've got a horrendous grinding/howling coming from the front of the car, it easily drowns out my exhaust which I never thought was possible for any noise. It goes away completely when I turn the wheel left so I figured that it was definitely my drivers side wheel bearing that was making the noise. I jacked the car up and rocked the top and bottom of the wheel and there was really no play at all. But then I spun the wheel and the bearing noise was very noticeable.

It got more confusing when I rocked the passenger side wheel back and forth and there was lots of play, but then I spun the wheel and it didn't sound as bad as the drivers side. Weird.

The car has 204k on it and I believe these are the originals so I was just planning on replacing both anyways. But does anyone have any input on this? Is there something I missed?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
For the drivers side. A bad bearing doesn't always give the typical play that you might be used to, sometimes it just makes that terrible howling noise (louder with more speed) . Make sure to check the brakes on that side they may be grinding .

For the Passenger side. The bearing may be fine if it's not making any noise, this may be a bad ball joint causing the play. Stick a pry between the ball joint and spindle and see if there is play.

Also how are your tie rod ends? Is there any play? Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you observe the tie rod play from the bottom.

At 204k original miles, it might just be time to do all that shit anyway like you said.

Balljoints
Tie rod ends
Wheel bearings
Alignment

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
You're probably right about the passenger side, could very well be the ball joint. I'll at least get both wheel bearings done this weekend and then get to the ball joint as soon as I can. I just did the tie rod ends not too long ago so they should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread