Wheel bearing replacement...

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
Hey guys,
Ok, so my wife's focus(2002) needs to have the wheel bearings replaced(all 4). I have searched the net for 2 hrs now and cant find a thing on how to do this or what is needed. The rears look as if it would be fairly easy to do, however, the fronts look like they will be a !#$^%. Are they all pressed in or is this something i can do in the garage. Local shop quoted $8XX to do the job, but i dont feel like dropping the money if this is something that can be done with a normal mech tool set.
Anyone got a link to a write up or any comments/suggestions? Have you done this before?
Thanks for any help guys!

shlbygt

Established Member
I've done a rear one before, it isn't bad at all. NAPA pressed the bearings and didn't ruin the ABS toner ring so it cost me ~$35 for the part and $20 for pressing the bearing.
Some people just buy the entire hub to make things easier. With fresh hubs I could do it in under an hour for both sides.

For a good price on complete hubs or Ford bearing kits contact Tousley Ford Parts @ 1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve or use one of the methods below.
Now accepting online orders here Tousley Ford Parts Depot
You can also find us here Tousley Ford - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

Here is a write up from focaljet for the rear bearing:

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement --> How-to - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

I have not replaced a front one but you do need to remove the knuckle to press the bearings.
A write up that shows removing the knuckle plus other suspension work:
How To - Extensive Suspension Overhaul (Front and Rear) - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

Users who are viewing this thread