Wheel gurus please come in.

alcarames

Established Member
Thinking about getting 17" wheels for my lowered fox. I hear that a lot of guys have rubbing with 17x9" in the front on lowered cars, which mine is. My question is how bad will it rub with 245/45/17's on the front with 9" wide tire? Will it be too much? Thanks in advance.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
It shouldn't rub. I run exactly that setup up front, and mine is fine. It does decrease your turning radius some though..so be aware of that.

I have a car that's lowered like 2.5" (eibach pro kit) running 03 cobra wheels with 245's up front and 275's in the rear. I have 99 spindles on my car which further widens my front track (this is a long story..don't ask) and my fronts do not contact the fender, but they are so, SO close. I ended up running a bit of negative camber (~1.5 degrees or so) to give myself a little extra breathing room.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
It shouldn't rub. I run exactly that setup up front, and mine is fine. It does decrease your turning radius some though..so be aware of that.

I have a car that's lowered like 2.5" (eibach pro kit) running 03 cobra wheels with 245's up front and 275's in the rear. I have 99 spindles on my car which further widens my front track (this is a long story..don't ask) and my fronts do not contact the fender, but they are so, SO close. I ended up running a bit of negative camber (~1.5 degrees or so) to give myself a little extra breathing room.

Exactly what was done on my hatchback with same tire setup and IRS rear. It handles like a beast - OMG

alcarames

Established Member
You guys rock! Thanks for the quick responses. One more question now, the wheel shop is saying 5x114.3 is the metric of the regular 5 lug coversion for those year cars. I think it was 5x4.5 for the standard.

Telmaer Hinton

Established Member
Keep in mind that the k-members change throughout the fox mustang years. Some cars sit out .5 inch further per side!

alcarames

Established Member
Sorry, I just realized my last post makes no sense. I was referring to the bolt pattern, I'm doing a 5 lug conversion and the wheels I'm looking at are 5x114.3, which I know is the same as the newer mustangs. The wheel shop says those wheels will fit the standard 5x4.5 bolt pattern and that they're the same. Only ones in metric and the other is standard. Anyone know the bolt pattern for fox body 5 lug conversions?

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Sorry, I just realized my last post makes no sense. I was referring to the bolt pattern, I'm doing a 5 lug conversion and the wheels I'm looking at are 5x114.3, which I know is the same as the newer mustangs. The wheel shop says those wheels will fit the standard 5x4.5 bolt pattern and that they're the same. Only ones in metric and the other is standard. Anyone know the bolt pattern for fox body 5 lug conversions?

114.3 converts out to 4.4999 in english. They are the same bolt pattern unless you want to go to a crazy small tolerance. I work in a machine shop with metric prints and my tools are english so I convert all the time. Take the metric number and multiply by .03937. (114.3x.03937)

Bolt patterns same as newer stangs.

drkendrick

Thinking about getting 17" wheels for my lowered fox. I hear that a lot of guys have rubbing with 17x9" in the front on lowered cars, which mine is. My question is how bad will it rub with 245/45/17's on the front with 9" wide tire? Will it be too much? Thanks in advance.

I have a 91 with 94 spindles out front (narrower than the 99 someone else commented on) and it is lowered 1" in the front. I have 2003 cobra 17x9's all around with the tire size you mentioned up front. Outside rubbing is not an issue but i do rub on the inside with sharp turns as when backing out and pulling in. Rack limiters would likely remedy that. I dont think anyone can assure you there wont be rubbing without discussion of offset/backspace etc but thats my 0.02. Thats mysetup/issues. I know this an old post but would be interesting to see how it turned out for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread