Wheel hop on every 1-2 shift at the track?

Established Member
I just went to Denton drag way tonight, First time with the car to a track. I have a 03 Cobra vert that dynoed 414 rwhp in the spring. My best pass was [email protected], that was with my best 60 foot of 2.27, all my other 6 foots were in the 2.3 range. I know I dont have the best tires for the track, I have BFG kdws. I think with more pratice I could get the 60 foot down to about 2.1 with those tires, and cust a 8.3 at over 86mph.

The problems I am having is that on every 1-2 power shift I am getting wheel hop pretty bad, the harder/faster I shift the worse the wheel hop. Is it the tires that I am useing, or is thier something else that can be done to help that will not affect drivablity(as my wife drives the car every day). This is my first time back to the track in over 5 years.

Any ideas?

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
A solid axle conversion isn't the answer to everything. If you are a dedicated drag racer then yes it is the answer.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
get a sticky tire...stock halfshafts, and stock IRS will take you well into the 10's without an issue....

David Morton

Established Member
Wheel hop comes from the hubs loading up on the springy bushings on the control arms causing them to snap back breaking traction a little, hop the wheel unloading the bushings, then get back some traction loading up the springy bushings, starting the whole cycle over again.

Polyurethane bushings is the fix for this problem. Billet aluminum control arms also added to the stiffness for my solid axle watts-link set-up. I noticed a real difference when I put the billeted arms with polyurethane bushings on my Marauder. Very good stuff this polyurethane.

Drag tires will mask the problem until higher horsepower brings it back again. The squishy sidewalls take up a lot of that snapping back until HP is high enough to make them slip a little then you're back to hopping.

Even though the IRS is a different design the same principle is at work. Looseness in the suspension arms and/or the bushings is the cause of wheel hop.

Users who are viewing this thread