wheel hop, shocks (coilovers vs cobra R spec?)

qmcobra

Established Member
Sorry guys, search is down. I understand first things first on wheel hop, subframe connectors, irs bushings, dif bushings, sticky tires.
My question is how far do I kneed to go with shocks, can I get away with cobra R spec shocks or should I use coilovers. This is a daily driver that will probably never make it to the track.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
If you are budget limited, go for the Horsepower by Herman anti hop shocks. They are said to reduce wheelhop by 90%. The Cobra R shocks are stiffer but you would need new springs to go with them. I am going to get coilovers on the rear only when I can afford it as they seem to do a little better than new shocks alone. If you are going to do shocks and springs, I would consider the coilovers because they are reported to be more effective and only cost a little more. Also, consider Lower Control Arm and Upper Control Arm bushings and you might as well replace the front IRS bolts with 14 mm while you are at it.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i'm actually interested in this thread because i have MM coilovers and because of a a broken clip on the top of my shock, my whole coilover and shock were totalled (little more to it... but don't really want to go into it). bill at apex ordered me a set of cobra r shocks for the rear to replace the bilstiens. he says the cobra r shocks are way cheaper and stiffer for even more reduced wheel hop... anybody running these cobra r shocks? help my track times for the launch?

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Toofast4u would know, He uses Cobra R shocks with his coilovers. I was thinking qmcobra was just going to use Cobra R shocks alone. From what I've heard the Cobra R shocks and springs are not really the cure for wheel hop. I will be going with Cobra R shocks and coilovers which from what I've gathered is one of the best ways to reduce wheelhop combined with everything else.....
Hope that clarifies things.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
thanks jordanvraptor... thats the kind of news i like to hear... can't wait to try the setup this afternoon... well, probably more like tomarrow since i have the Sharks game tonight... i'm going to the 1st game of the playoffs.... GO SHARKS!
i know.. who give a rats ass

qmcobra

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the info. The deal is I dont know alot about the mechanics of the cobra other than what I have been very quickly picking up on this web site. I asked a mechanic about coilovers because that is what most people seem to be using. He thought they would cost a little more, be a little harder to install, maybe give a rougher ride. He thought that if people were having good luck with just a shock swap then that would be the thing to do. I thought I would ask and see how much money and effort we were talking vs the return on traction and hop elimination. Maybe I shouldnt even worry about shocks, maybe bushings, subframes, tires will do the trick?

Cobra-R

Established Member
The 00R's hop like a bunny, so I find it hard to believe that it would be much of fix.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread