Wheel hop that never goes away

StriderTacticaL

Established Member
So I posted this thread on Corral:

[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1253096]Why do I still have wheel hop?!?!? - Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums[/ame]

and got some very useful replies but the thread has sorta died out and I want to know if anyone here has any input as to what could be the problem.

Basically, my car as always had wheel hop, and as I slowly upgraded the rear suspension, it got slightly better, then now suddenly extremely worse. The violent wheel hop all started after I removed the quadshocks and installed some UCA's and solid axle bushings. The wheel hop was EXTREMELY VIOLENT, I cannot emphasize it enough...I would get it on take off and banging 2nd. If I revved up and dumped the clutch, the rear felt like it was hopping a half a feet high and the car barely moved forward.

So after that, I installed BRAND NEW quadshocks and it only helped a bit. A MM tech was even generous enough to come over to check out my car and everything including the torque boxes looked good. He determined that it may have been my Lakewood 50/50 shocks being too stiff and not offering enough damping. The funny thing is I found an old thread I made when I only had LCA's and newly installed Lakewoods and the shocked caused worse hop on the street but was smooth as hell on the track.

Anyway, I week ago or so I installed some Strange 10 way shocks and tried all the settings and the hop only improved minimally.

I am pretty much out of ideas. The last thing is pretty much people are saying my Nitto DR's may be the cause being that they have a sticky compound with a stiff sidewall. Basically peeps are suggesting that the car hops because the tires can't spin so easily, and the grippy compound is trying to stick to the ground creating resistance. I've ran these tires for years with no problems...but people are saying that since I stiffened up my rear suspension, all the shock is being transfered straight to the tires.

Maybe if I went to the track with bias ply slicks then I wouldn't have any hop. The thing is I sold my slicks and I have lots of things going on right now to go to the track to test it. Also, there are tons of peopel with rear suspension and DR's who drive on the street with no problems so I am just baffled and fustrated.

Maybe I should put on my stock UCA's again and see what happens? Since this pretty much all began after installing them. But I just can't see how I have to resort to stock to get rid of the bad hop.

Anyone have any ideas? I have (as far as i'm concerned) full rear suspension already consisting of:

FRPP B springs with polyurethane iso's
MM XD LCA's
CHE double adjustable UCA's with UPR spherical axle bushings
Gabriel quad shocks
Stange 10 way shocks

5227629378_683a22dba2.jpg

5227630172_fe20f4cf40.jpg

5227632208_5f51dbb7be.jpg

5227036143_be03bbe150.jpg

5227630840_fb4b45d1b8.jpg

It's been raining all week here lately and I've tried testing the car out when the road is wet, the tires break loose very easily but it still spins just as bad.

Thanks,
Brandon

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
What brand tires are you using? How much horsepower/torque do you have? If your hooking at the track then your answer is most likely that on an unprepped street, your tires will spin, and you will not hook.

StriderTacticaL

Established Member
The tires are 275 Nitto 555R's at 25psi. I've got bolt on 2V power. I haven't ran the car at the track for a while, I wouldn't be using radial tires anymore anyway. I'm just trying to fix the hop on the street.

It hops violently anytime the wheel spins....but there are tons of peeps who can spin their tires on the street with no probs, thats why i'm so baffled

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
You may not want to take your upper control arms off, and put the stock ones with new bushings back on, but that's what Maximum Motorsports recommends. Your probably experiencing binding on the street, but on the track your car will probably hook great.

Have you tried this? If you have, then I'm baffled as to why you can't get traction.

Users who are viewing this thread