Wheel Hop @ the track

cobrapoison

Established Member
I have a stock '99 cobra with a Magnum cat back. I took it to the track and my best run was [email protected] in an 1/8 mile. Best 60' was 2.342. I couldn't get better times due to the wheel hop. I was running 25 psi in kumo 275 40 17 tires.
Does any one know what to do about the wheel hop? I was told you change all bushings on the IRS to ploy, Aluminum, and Delrin plastic bushings. Steeda also sells a bracket the welds the IRS sub-frame and bolts to the chassis. Has any one used that bracket and if so does it work?

Bill

MPsvt04

SVT
Established Member
Don't know about all the IRS mods yet... its new to me. It sounds like your launch could have been better though. You should be able to pull 2.0xx 60ft times with that car. Try launching at a lower RPM next time, maybe 500 less or feather out the clutch just a bit on launch to avoid to much spin/hop.

cobrapoison

Established Member
How good are drg radials on the street? How many miles are the good for? And what about rain, will I have good traction on wet roads?

I plan to lower the car using Steeda sport spring and put 3.73 gears in at the same time. Since I will have most I the IRS system apart I think it would be the most practical time to replace all bushing with those Maximum Motor sports recommended.

If anyone knows that those bushings aren't going to do much let me know. Thanks.

Just to clairify its a Magnaflow cat back I have not Magnum. I work form 4:00am to 4:00pm and I'm just too tired to catch my typo's

chuckstang

Established Member
Well first off, do not bother with 373 gears, I just put in 410's and they are barely adaquate. These cars easily can handle 430's or more, and I mean on the street these cars love 410 and higher. DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR. I also put in kb aluminum bushings, work great and not much wheel hop, but I also have lowering springs, subframes, and good bfg tires which all help. good luck

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
4:56's and a built solid...is the cure....thats what I just purchased. I look at it this way If you enjoy going to the track and want to improve your times drastically then I would invest in a solid axle...If you barely go to the track and aren't going to mod your car much then dont bother with the hassle just semi-upgrade the IRS with bushing, brace, and sticky tire.

I went with 4:30s and the car loved it, not much diffrence when going to the 4:56 so I figure why not.

Users who are viewing this thread