Wheel hop with a built SRA

Mustang Matt

Established Member
98 Cobra with an 03 motor/trans swap.

35 spline axles, 3.73s, strange spool, strange shocks and coil overs, baseline pro-launch kit and anti-roll bar. 315/35/17 tires. I didn't lower the pressure due to time constraints.

I took it to the track last Wednesday, I tried to do a burnout and I could have sworn the wheels were hopping. Same thing happened on launch. I pulled a 2.027 60'.

Any ideas as to what might be going on or what I should check first?

Car last made 472 at the wheels to give you an idea of power. I expect it's up a bit since then.

I pulled off a 12.5@114 but had spark blowout through all of 4th gear. :(

Considering going back tomorrow night. Although, they told me not to come back without a racing jacket because the power adder wasn't from the factory in this specific car.

Digital

Established Member
How stiff are your shocks? Ideally you want the car to squat slightly as it plants the rear end hard.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I don't know. The shop I had installing everything and welding the axle tubes, etc. went out of business the day I picked my car up so I don't even know what part numbers they used.

I believe they are adjustable strange shocks. Maybe I can find the adjustment point or a part number on them tonight.

woopow

Established Member
Looks like some pretty good stuff was installed. I would go with shock adjustments also. From your description of events, it sounds like you need to stiffen up the rear shock settings.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Alright, it looks like they have adjustment knobs. I'll try to tighten them up.

What behavior is expected if they're too tight?

woopow

Established Member
My guess is you'll probalby end up with two settings. One for driving around (soft setting) and one for drag racing (stiff setting, for launch).

Users who are viewing this thread