Wheel suggestions

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is probably a slightly different wheel topic than what most are used to but I need some help.

Car is a 1998 race car, and only recently did I figure out that both sets of my wheels are 8" wide, which is giving me a lot less contact patch than it should. (275/40s)

The rules for the series are somewhat simple but I'm running into issues finding wheels that fit the criteria (as best as I can).

They must be 17s
No wider than 9.5" (I would like to get 9.5s but 9s may be the only option)
Can't be lighter than 18lbs per wheel

Price is a concern, as wheel contact isn't uncommon and I would hate to put actual money into a set of wheels that are a wear item.

5 years ago, the right wheel for this series was MB Battles, but they stopped making them and the second a set goes up for sale they are snatched up.

At this point the best option is looking like the bullitt anthracite wheels from American muscle, they are a 17x9 and weigh 23.1lbs (they are slightly more than I want to spend but not terrible).

Does anyone else happen to know of another wheel that potentially fits the criteria?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Something cheaper than knockoff bullitts? Not sure what that would even be.

I was going to say enkei rpf1s...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Something cheaper than knockoff bullitts? Not sure what that would even be.

I was going to say enkei rpf1s...
Yeah, I know, it's a tall order lol.

I've been digging around in the open box section of AM because I don't really care what they look like, as long as they aren't too bent and they hold air they should work.

The only other thing I worry about is having a wheel with the spoke that sticks out further than the edge of the wheel. One of our guys had a set of wheels like that and after some "mild" contact, he had a vibration, which was actually like 3 out of the 8 spokes breaking off.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What does an OEM 95 R wheel weigh?
I found in another thread 95R wheels are 28lbs.

The Villians are a pretty good idea, the one I linked earlier, I found another thread on a different forum (I have been on a lot today) show them as sold.

I'm finding out more options on this, I'm kind of late to the party, as these discussions were happening 10 years ago as well.

Roots had a good suggestions with the RPF1s, apparently they are a little light, but we are allowed to weld a spacer on them to bring up the wheel weight.

Talking with another mustang racer, he ran the 9.5s but after breaking some and them being very hard to track down (like I'm dealing with today), he is moving to a 9".

I should probably just go with the cheapest/lightest/most common 17x9 I can find, which are probably bullitts.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Find some used steeda lightweight wheels. Don’t go too cheap on a race car. Some safety does matter. You pay for what you get

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I had that thought too. Steeda Ultralites is another option. Both the Konig and Steeda would be hard to find these days.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Got my Ultralites refinished last October. Was going to use them as my track rims but they look too damn good to get dirty!!!

Need to get tired and get them mounted....really interested to see what a little bling looks like on Casper. :cool:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice Casper, I almost had a set but the seller backed outed. I'd still buy a set, I'd also like a set of 2000R wheels.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Nice Casper, I almost had a set but the seller backed outed. I'd still buy a set, I'd also like a set of 2000R wheels.
All about who you know and timing....
I was lucky to have a Houston 00R owner sell me his original rims that he used for track and were needing a refinishing pretty badly.
The Ultralites I purchased with my MM K-member, control arms, spindles and steering rack from a guy who pulled it in from a junk yard

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
All about who you know and timing....
I was lucky to have a Houston 00R owner sell me his original rims that he used for track and were needing a refinishing pretty badly.
The Ultralites I purchased with my MM K-member, control arms, spindles and steering rack from a guy who pulled it in from a junk yard

Nice, great minds think alike.
Well, if you see a deal on either, you know where to find me.

Users who are viewing this thread