Wheel/Tire dilemma...

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I'm into alot of roll racing and would like to take part in some of the runway events. Don't do a lot of track or drag racing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ok yeah you don't need bigger brake then what you have for that just do the pads,rotors,lines,fluid. don't need to do all at once build up as you make more boost.

I would look at the alumastars 2.0 17's. and the M&H racemaster 28x4.5. It's a radial tires. It's a nice looking tire. it is new though so no feedback. there is a member on here that just bought a set up with them so looking forward to hearing his feed back on the tire.

Or a cheaper and faster shipping time you could get the darkstars also in 17x4.5. But not made in the US.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
1 of the reasons I mention that front set up is beside looking killer. You save about 25lbs each tire/rim combo. My math isn't correct but that like loosing 100lbs off the body.

And there are plenty strong. See a lot of 3600lb+ cars doing wheelies at the strip on them. what goes up must come down.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bro there is absolutely no point in building a car that makes 800-900 whp if u plan on running a 17 inch tire out back. there just isn't a sticky enough tire out there to hook up with that size rim.

when I roll up against other cars on the road I know instantly whether or not they have a snowballs chance in hell of beating me just by looking at their rim size.

I had 19 inch Forgestars and loved em looked badass and handled great but utterly useless on the street even with NT05r's if ur trying to hook up.

If I were to do 18" up front and 17" in the rear, I would be happy with some black weld wheels. Would that work alot better? What tire would work with that setup?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Bro there is absolutely no point in building a car that makes 800-900 whp if u plan on running a 17 inch tire out back. there just isn't a sticky enough tire out there to hook up with that size rim.

when I roll up against other cars on the road I know instantly whether or not they have a snowballs chance in hell of beating me just by looking at their rim size.

I had 19 inch Forgestars and loved em looked badass and handled great but utterly useless on the street even with NT05r's if ur trying to hook up.
I feel ya, I'm not ashamed to admit this is a learning experience...I am now looking into some weld wheels so I can get a decent tire and not spin everywhere like a jack ass lol

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
lol trus me bro we all been there and would love to have best of all worlds rim/tire setup but it just doesn't exist. Nothn wrong with having an extra set of rims/tires but money don't grow on trees in my backyard and I doubt they do urs either lol

15x10 MT Pro Radial 275/60 is all u will need and u will simply enjoy ur car a LOT more cause all the money u spent making ur car faster will now actually BE faster cause u will be hooking up.

Making some dyno queen number won't mean dick if u can't hook. I see it with Corvette guys all the time. Their car makes XXX power blablabla..... and then they can't hook and make excuses why they lost.

I feel ya, I'm not ashamed to admit this is a learning experience...I am now looking into some weld wheels so I can get a decent tire and not spin everywhere like a jack ass lol

UnrealSVT

Established Member
lol trus me bro we all been there and would love to have best of all worlds rim/tire setup but it just doesn't exist. Nothn wrong with having an extra set of rims/tires but money don't grow on trees in my backyard and I doubt they do urs either lol

15x10 MT Pro Radial 275/60 is all u will need and u will simply enjoy ur car a LOT more cause all the money u spent making ur car faster will now actually BE faster cause u will be hooking up.

Making some dyno queen number won't mean dick if u can't hook. I see it with Corvette guys all the time. Their car makes XXX power blablabla..... and then they can't hook and make excuses why they lost.
Lol very true. Will a pro radial be IRS friendly? I will have the IRS beefed up but want to keep it.

And I may be asking too much, but I would love to have that extra set of "cruiser wheels" if you will, to handle better around the mountain roads here on the east coast.

Haha I know I'm in an uphill battle here at my desired power level...

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sure u can use that setup with an IRS as long as u beef up the half shafts. Oh I hear ya bro I live in Connecticut and like to zip up and down the hi way and have thought of getting another rim/tire setup to do the same.

If u did that u would jus have to either turn down the boost or for u stay out of it going thru corners.

Lol very true. Will a pro radial be IRS friendly? I will have the IRS beefed up but want to keep it.

And I may be asking too much, but I would love to have that extra set of "cruiser wheels" if you will, to handle better around the mountain roads here on the east coast.

Haha I know I'm in an uphill battle here at my desired power level...

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Sure u can use that setup with an IRS as long as u beef up the half shafts. Oh I hear ya bro I live in Connecticut and like to zip up and down the hi way and have thought of getting another rim/tire setup to do the same.

If u did that u would jus have to either turn down the boost or for u stay out of it going thru corners.
Yup planning on half shafts, FTBR bushings and a stronger diff cover. Full length subframe and bumpsteer kit etc...

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Yeah 1 thing to think about when deciding on rear rim/tire set ups is.
Going with a 15" rim you will need MM rear brake line kit. And it looks like grinding of the tie rod ends on the IRS. Looks like a lot of grinding.

A bunch of people have done it with no issues. I think I would just go with a 16" rear rim. Instead of the MM rear brake kit and grinding the tie rod end.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Yeah 1 thing to think about when deciding on rear rim/tire set ups is.
Going with a 15" rim you will need MM rear brake line kit. And it looks like grinding of the tie rod ends on the IRS. Looks like a lot of grinding.

A bunch of people have done it with no issues. I think I would just go with a 16" rear rim. Instead of the MM rear brake kit and grinding the tie rod end.
So if I go 16" for the rear it will just fit right on there? No need for modification? Other than rolling fenders maybe?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Also you guys, how wide of a tire can I go? I purchased some allen headed IRS bolts a good while ago after reading of contact with the bolts...

I think I've decided on the Weld RT-S S71 in black. Maybe a 16" in the rear and a 17" in the front.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
That does look like an awesome tire. Are you recommending them for a 17-18" wheel in the 28 tall?

I have them in 17’s and my father has them on 18’s, hard to compare the two because they are on different cars (gt500 & 03cobra). But the more sidewalk the better it will be for you. It’s by far the best Drag radial I’ve ever ran. A lot of people here like the Toyo tires, I had a set IMO they are f’ing junk.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I have them in 17’s and my father has them on 18’s, hard to compare the two because they are on different cars (gt500 & 03cobra). But the more sidewalk the better it will be for you. It’s by far the best Drag radial I’ve ever ran. A lot of people here like the Toyo tires, I had a set IMO they are f’ing junk.
Yea alot of guys have told me to stay away from the R888 at that power level. I will definitely look into the M&H tire. What width are you running on the 17"? I see they make a 325. Will that fit with the IRS?

I have seen a few combos of the 18" RTS welds in the front and 17" in the back. I wonder how that would look with a M&H tire on the rear.

Does that tire handle well? And ride well on twisty roads?

Thanks!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, it sounds like your looking for two types of tires out of one. Twisty roads, a lot of hp, and skinny tires up front are NOT going to mix well.

You might as well have two different sets of wheels. A drag setup, and one more oriented for spirited driving.

The r888 would be the best aggressive tire for twisty roads, but it won't support you're hp levels, traction wise.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jblood37

Established Member
I'm at mid 700s and from a 40 roll with 18" MT drag radials I'm not hooking. I'll be looking for a good 15-16" rear wheel setup soon. It sucks having all that power just to spin.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Op, it sounds like your looking for two types of tires out of one. Twisty roads, a lot of hp, and skinny tires up front are NOT going to mix well.

You might as well have two different sets of wheels. A drag setup, and one more oriented for spirited driving.

The r888 would be the best aggressive tire for twisty roads, but it won't support you're hp levels, traction wise.

Yea I know I'm asking a bit much here, lol. And you nailed it on the head there. I may just have to bite the bullet and have two sets. I would obviously feather it on back roads and daily driving on something like the r888...but as you said, they're going to light up on the straight blasts.

Maybe I could do that, and then have a 27-28" tire on another set with smaller front wheels and tires to go out and beat on.

Kind of a pain in the long run...but it is what it is...when you're looking for the best of both worlds at that power.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I'm at mid 700s and from a 40 roll with 18" MT drag radials I'm not hooking. I'll be looking for a good 15-16" rear wheel setup soon. It sucks having all that power just to spin.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I hear ya, and thanks for the heads up!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea I know I'm asking a bit much here, lol. And you nailed it on the head there. I may just have to bite the bullet and have two sets. I would obviously feather it on back roads and daily driving on something like the r888...but as you said, they're going to light up on the straight blasts.

Maybe I could do that, and then have a 27-28" tire on another set with smaller front wheels and tires to go out and beat on.

Kind of a pain in the long run...but it is what it is...when you're looking for the best of both worlds at that power.

This was the whole reason I ordered up a pair of 16" rear wheels. Ideally I'd like to have a smaller tire up front when running the 16's out back.

I'd rather do pulls from a roll, less chance of breaking drivetrain parts. For now I can get traction on a 40 mph hit if the temperature is mid upper 60's. At least usually, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread