wheel width versus tire width

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I tried searching the forums for this but how much wider can you usually go for tire with versus wheel width. For example on my 15 x 8 race stars I have 275's on them which is 10.8 inches on an 8 inch rim.

My stock rims are 8 inch also so is it safe to stick 275's on them?

nate714

Established Member
I think 255 is the widest you could safety put on an 18x8 rim, but I'm not an expert. I asked around too and the general consensus seemed to be 255 on 18x8. I think the more sidewall you have (and smaller rim), the more difference you can get away with safely.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/invo-luxury-sport-ultra-high-performance-tire/

If you check out that link and scroll down to sizes, they all say 9inch rim is minimum for any of their 275 tires.

noldevin

Established Member
Drag tires are different than street tires. You can generally go a bit wider on drag tires because they stretch as you pick up speed and you shouldn't be turning hard on them. With street tires you want to stay within half an inch (actual tread width vs wheel width, not just the section width that you see in the xxx/xx/xx number), preferably on the equal or lower side.
I still don't think I'd put 275s on an 18x8 though, especially not street tires.

5.0Moe

Established Member
It all depends on the tire. Look up the tire you are trying to put on and see what the wheel size recommendation is.

Users who are viewing this thread