When do you replace your rotors?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
My rotors have 35,000 miles on them, and I just changed the front pads for the first time. I have done open track with them as well. I don't notice any cracks, but I'm curious when I should change the rotors?

How often does everyone else go through rotors? Other than cracking, is there a way to tell you need to change out the rotors?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
The best way is to MIC them and see what their thickness is.

When I change pads I change rotors with mileage. Track use is a little different.

Don't cut the rotors for a new finish. You don't want to remove material.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yep...

Just Mic em to check for minimum thickness and keep an eye on the cracks.

The cracks are expected and safe only up to a point. You will want to do a little googling around for pics of acceptable cracks and unacceptable cracks on rotors and replace as needed.
If I get a little more time later I'll try looking for you.
Full race pads and faster laps seen by the more advanced drivers will produce quicker cracking, also rapid heating by going too hot on your warm up laps will accelerate the cracking... also use you cool down for a cool down so that you don't just park the car with WAY HOT rotors.... that also helps with rotor life.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i discard mine every 2nd set of pads, or when the heat checks are big enough to give me the heebie jeebies, which is about the same amount of usage.

since switching to dedicated track pads and rotors, the life of my street rotors has increased exponentially.

Users who are viewing this thread