When I Let The Clutch Up After Changing Gears, It Doesn't Come Up Smoothly?

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
I've got a Whipple and all the supporting mods, exhaust, etc... And it's got about 550 hp to the wheels and 21K miles.

Anyways, whenever I change gears, and lift my foot up on the clutch, it comes up kind of unevenly. I could swear that a while ago, it used to come up very smoothly, but now it is quite a bit rougher.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Does it sound like I am in need of a clutch replacement?

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I had a problem with the (aftermarket) clutch cable on mine. Made the pedal very stiff and the pedal would feel like it was sticking/coming up too slowly -- replaced the clutch cable with a Ford one and fixed the problem perfectly.
Also check and make sure everything is lubed properly.

Jefe

Established Member
Doesnt happen when youre in neutral and just pushing the pedal in and letting it come up? What clutch setup do you have?

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I don't understand :-(

I'm just saying that I have noticed (and others have commented on it too) that many aftermarket cables do not seem to be as good as the OEM Ford cable and the aftermarket ones can cause binding and sticking problems with the clutch pedal. If you have the Ford cable, then this problem is probably not the issue. But if you have replaced the cable it might be worth swapping back to the Ford cable.

But Hillarysnuts is right, to really get an idea of what's going wrong, we need to know more about your clutch setup and exactly when it happens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread