When is it necessary to go to 3" exhaust on 07-09?

- Aj -

Established Member
Looking for information based on facts, not just "thats what my dad always did" kind of answers. :rolling: There are alot of 2.5" and 3" options. My personal plan is going for around 750rwhp. Is there any benefit of going to the larger exhaust at this point? Thanks

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
At 600HP with my turbo and have serious back pressure issues. I would bet that you would benefit.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I would guess over 700rwh it would be beneficial. Not necessarily "needed", but I would bet there would be gains. And over 800rwh it would be a good idea for sure.

cluscher

Established Member
I had an upper pulley only car with tb and plenum that benefitted from 3 inch exhaust. So I would say cars with the most basic power mods would benefit. My data is not great because of different dynos and mods, but here is the scenario: On a dynojet with the upper 2.6 pulley I made roughly 530rwhp/515tq (I don't remember the exact number anymore). On a dynapack dyno with frpp tb/l&m plenum and jba 3 inch exhaust with hi-flow cats mated to factory manifolds I made 575/585 (those are exact numbers). Given the difference in dynos and the addition of tb and plenum, I have no idea what the real power gain was. But to me the torque number and correlation to the power number was notably different. I attributed this to the exhaust change. This was on an 07. So that was my experience with three inch exhaust.

- Aj -

Established Member
Did you break up a Magnaflow catback or were you able to buy the over axle pipes seperately? What brand xpipe? Do you have a sound clip? Thanks

Last edited:

GRUNT0311

Established Member
with all my mods now I put down 660rwhp, I just ordered a set of Kooks 1 7/8's with an O/R X to 3" and have magnaflow 3" race bullets I plan on dumping before the axles, also swapping the TB to VMP's new 67mm. Give me a month and I'll give you the new #'s. The hardest part here is waiting for the damn headers to come in. 4 week wait, from 4/16/2014......soon!

Users who are viewing this thread