When is TOO much TOO much?

jetracer1000

BADDA BING!!
Established Member
Ok when I first got my car it was way too quiet. So I started by switching out the stock exhaust with magnaflow magna packs just for the sound. Not too bad, but was hoping for a louder/deeper sound. So then I said screw it and ordered a off road H-pipe. Now at idle and cruising it sounds pretty good, but when I jump on it it sounds like total crap. I almost hate to even get on it. It almost sounds like a have a exhaust leak, but its only during certain RPM ranges. Could it be since the mufflers are straight threw and running no cats it's causing this aweful sound? I was thinking of switching to a set of flowmasters, but I didnt want to dump the money for nothing. Anyone ideas?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
YES, I have that exact same setup on my 98 GT and it sounds horrible! I swapped the ProChmaber out for the O/R H, what a bad idea! Go with the ProChamber if you want to stay O/R and it'll sound a hell of a lot better. (with the snap, crackle, pop effect...exhaust leaking sound)

Roush9703

Established Member
i had exactly the same problems with an o/r mrt h and stingers...from around 2-3k it sounded like shit but from then on it sounded great. i guarantee that getting a set of cats welded in will solve your problems. it did for me. now its sounds great at any rpm.

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
I used to have a magnaflow xpipe with cats and the Borla Stingers well I decided to swap out the magnaflow xpipe and put a DR. Gas on. It sounded aweful with the stingers. I since then replaced the stingers with the magnaflow cat back and i have been happy ever since. Now it's quiet driving around calm and screams when I lay on the loud peddle :beer:

jetracer1000

BADDA BING!!
Established Member
well I'm glad I'm not the only one. The weird thing is I had a Offroad H-pipe and a set of flowmasters on my 97 GT and had no problem at all. It'll be ashame to have to tear off the H-pipe and dump it for the stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread