When not to use the AC

440sprint

Established Member
Since AC season is upon us now, I sometimes forget to turn off my AC when going WOT! Also, I rarely remember to turn it off when I get challenged on the street!

I always feel bad for my AC compressor when I do forget. Can the compressor or its drive belt be damaged by the tremendous torque of the Trinity engine? The AC compressor does take some engine power away from performance, but probably an insignificant percentage of the engine's power.

What are other's thoughts on whether there are situations when the AC should be turned off while driving, if at all. I'm sure it's best to always turn it off on the drag strip or track.

itSSlow98

Established Member
The a/c compressors turn off automatically at WOT. Its been that way since like 1980 lol

And never have it on in the staging lanes because it will drip condensation onto the track.

Myfast70

Established Member
IIRC, it automatically shuts off at WOT and I think somewhere around 4500-5000 RPM even if not at WOT

nhs156

Established Member
Can someone help explain, in non-technical layman's terms, why an AC compressor does/needs to shut off at WOT or high revs? I literally have no idea.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
In the simplest terms, I believe at high rpm it simply spins the compressor too fast which causes them to wear out quickly.

440sprint

Established Member
The a/c compressors turn off automatically at WOT. Its been that way since like 1980 lol

And never have it on in the staging lanes because it will drip condensation onto the track.

IIRC, it automatically shuts off at WOT and I think somewhere around 4500-5000 RPM even if not at WOT

Thanks, Slow & Fast! I did not know that!

Is that info explained some where from Ford?

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Yep. Try an experiment if you have a manual. Especially in 1st and Second gear. Accellerate and let the rpm's approach 5000. Have an A/C vent blowing directly accross your hands or something. It will begin to feel less cool for a moment

The Snake

440sprint

Established Member
Yep. Try an experiment if you have a manual. Especially in 1st and Second gear. Accellerate and let the rpm's approach 5000. Have an A/C vent blowing directly accross your hands or something. It will begin to feel less cool for a moment

The Snake

Thanks, Snake, I'll try that! By the way, Shelbys are ONLY manual as far as I know, LOL!

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
No Prob. LOL I didnt read that much into the thing as to what model we were dealing with. Just an interesting experiment to try is all this is. Mine will do this when the rmps begin to get up there. Its a way to verify the WOT switch and relays are working.

The Snake

USV8PWR

Established Member

The Snake

Shoot, I remember a few years ago doing the above and it felt like the heater was on full blast!! My old Camaros and Mustangs from the 80's early 90's would overheat sitting in traffic with the AC on. Man how times have changed. The cooling systems are so much better now. Even in North AL I never have an issue with heat on the street.

PRP

Established Member
In the simplest terms, I believe at high rpm it simply spins the compressor too fast which causes them to wear out quickly.

Naw, the AC compressor cuts of with Wide Open Throttle/WOT, not RPM. If you put a car in 5th gear at 2,000 RPM and hit WOT, the AC compressor cuts off immediately, not at a prescribed RPM.

It's to give you max power when you demand it. And like someone already said, it's been that way ever since computers were introduced in cars (1980).

Phill (ASE & GM AC Certified).

440sprint

Established Member
Naw, the AC compressor cuts of with Wide Open Throttle/WOT, not RPM. If you put a car in 5th gear at 2,000 RPM and hit WOT, the AC compressor cuts off immediately, not at a prescribed RPM.

It's to give you max power when you demand it. And like someone already said, it's been that way ever since computers were introduced in cars (1980).

Phill (ASE & GM AC Certified).

Obviously, there are some things that I missed years back (2013-1980=33!) Such AC info in writing may be long gone, taken for granted that everyone knows already!

I'm old enough to have had severe AC influences on engine heat, hp & somewhat on car weight! Most of my muscle/sports cars in the last millennium would overheat if at idle over a minute! AC's are also much more reliable lately.

Thanks to EVERYONE for bringing me up to date!

Users who are viewing this thread