When parking transmission seems to semi "lock" in 1st gear?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Got my new Mcleod in, love the clutch but I notice that when I pull into spots in 1st gear (turning) after I stop 1st gear acts like the clutch is not depressed. I have to yank it out of 1st and then it will smoothly go back into 1st and neutral and any other gear.

Any idea what could be causing this? Perfectly fine when driving, but when turning and parking, 1st gear for some reason just kind of locks up, so I have to give it a good bit of muscle to get it out of gear.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Your clutch is dragging a little. You most likely have small air bubbles in the clutch hydraulic system from replacing the CSC. Perform the clutch bleeding procedure again or pump the clutch a lot to work all of the air out.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Your clutch is dragging a little. You most likely have small air bubbles in the clutch hydraulic system from replacing the CSC. Perform the clutch bleeding procedure again or pump the clutch a lot to work all of the air out.

? If it was dragging wouldn't I encounter this all the time? It's only when I turn into a parking spot. Stop and go traffic it is fine, as well as driving normally. I don't know the bleeding procedure, if pumping the clutch works shouldn't this issue just go away in time? Only have 80 miles on the new clutch.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Similar issue with my car after clutch, fluid line, and CSC was replaced. Mine appeared to be related to load on the transmission while in first gear, going up a small incline at slow speed for instance and coming to a stop without upshifting. Clutch would not always fully release, and I would have to yank it out of gear just as you described. Didn't happen any other time. I bled the system multiple times and continued cycling the clutch throughout the break-in period. Yes, it got better and went away completely in time.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Similar issue with my car after clutch, fluid line, and CSC was replaced. Mine appeared to be related to load on the transmission while in first gear, going up a small incline at slow speed for instance and coming to a stop without upshifting. Clutch would not always fully release, and I would have to yank it out of gear just as you described. Didn't happen any other time. I bled the system multiple times and continued cycling the clutch throughout the break-in period. Yes, it got better and went away completely in time.

Hmm as long as it does not cause damage I won't worry about it... you saying "dragging the clutch" worried me as well, that would cause a lot of premature wear on the clutch. I do have an appointment on Monday with Ford to get it fixed, but til then I'll just drive it and pump the heck outta the clutch :p, should go away if it is what you say it is.

Only got 80 or so miles on this RXT clutch that Ford installed, so def not near the 500 mile break-in Mcleod recommends.

Users who are viewing this thread