When/why is the head cooling mod needed?

sleepless

Established Member
Has anyone suffered issues due to not having the head cooling mod?

If it is needed, under what conditions is it needed? Above a certain power level? When regularly drag racing or open tracking?

I don't have any plans to upgrade the supercharger so have no need to remove it for the Even Flow version of the mod. Nor do I have any plans to change the clutch or flywheel for the LDC version. So am trying to figure out if I need to really do the mod.

I currently have a 2.8 pulley and at 460RWHP and I open track the car occassionally.

Do I "need" this mod?

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
YES, even if you didn't have mods I would highly recommend it. These engines still get way too hot anyways even stock.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
sleepless said:
Has anyone suffered issues due to not having the head cooling mod?

If it is needed, under what conditions is it needed? Above a certain power level? When regularly drag racing or open tracking?

I don't have any plans to upgrade the supercharger so have no need to remove it for the Even Flow version of the mod. Nor do I have any plans to change the clutch or flywheel for the LDC version. So am trying to figure out if I need to really do the mod.

I currently have a 2.8 pulley and at 460RWHP and I open track the car occassionally.

Do I "need" this mod?

Many people have had driver's head damage from heat. That's why the coolling mods were invented. Track racers especially were looking for a way to keep their driver's head temps down after they experienced overheating problems. The racers experimented with different kinds of home made cooling mods. Apten eventually mass produced their cooling mod. LDC came into the picture with an improved OEM quality version and a year and a half later EvenFlow added a slightly different mod that requires a different install method.

Open track driving is one of the worst heat producing events your car will experience. During open track driving, your engine is repeatedly at full throttle for extended periods of time which really raises the engine temps and especially the driver's head temps. You are definitely a candidate for a cooling mod as well as other available mods for keeping your temps under control. The pulley and open track driving put you into the "at risk" category.

Sooner or later, you will need a clutch. :burnout:

Fuerza

Established Member
I wish this was easier too do. For what ever reason, the prevous owner didn't do this when he did the clutch. I'm tempted to pull the tranny out just to do the LDC mod.

sleepless

Established Member
flyn high again said:
Sooner or later, you will need a clutch. :burnout:

Thanks for the great "background" on this issue.

I'm basically trying to decide if I should have this mod done even though I'm not doing a clutch or blower upgrade. I've done two track days and will be doing two more in a few weeks. The question is "how many track days can I get away with before either something bad happens or I get it installed"?

I have the Even Flow kit. Just trying to figure out when to install it...

If you look at my sig, you'll see I've tried to do all the mods I feel are necessary for open track abuse; but this head cooling mod I could not get enough info on... hence the thread. It seems like a fairly labor intensive mod...

Last edited:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
IMO you should have a cooling mod for what you do with the car. A little bit of money now versus a big bit of money when a slug melts later is what sealed the deal for me.
My blower was off for porting so the even flow was made to order, I think both cooling mods are about the same labor/time wise, I estimate 6 hours for the average shade tree mech like myself.
Some MADMEN have done the evenflow with the blower on. If you have the cash and think you might need a clutch go LDC, The cost to remove the blower is a couple of jugs of coolant, with 30k on my car I reused all the factory gaskets to re-install my blower :rollseyes

I wanted to do the LDC but didnt have the money for a clutch and my blower was off. Doing clutches is childs play over here
220771_58_full.jpg

sleepless

Established Member
Is the overheating issue without this mod a longevity issue for the head or a "you are gonna blow something up at the next track day" issue?

I'm trying to understand if this is a "must do now" mod or a "do it when the blower or tranny are being worked on"?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Zorabot said:
Doing clutches is childs play over here
220771_58_full.jpg

That is my dream garage!:eek:

Back on topic, I'm actually waiting for my blower to come back from Steggy and did the Even Flow kit while it was all out. I can't say that I would recommend it. It's a MAJOR PIA to install, even with the blower out. I really don't feel confident that the fitting is secure and I'm starting to regret doing it because of that. If I was doing it again, I'd wait and do the LDC while the tranny was out for a clutch.
As for your question about how many track days you can get away with, there is absolutely no way to answer that. There are too many factors that come into play with racing a car that could create heat issues. If your open tracking your car, get one of these mods ASAP!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
To reiterate what the fellas above have replied: Yes, you should do one of the head cooling mods. The factory head cooling engineering for the drivers side head was flawed and has directly/indirectly caused many reported cases of engine damage including premature valve guide wear (the tick) to actual piston damage in the 7th and 8th cylinders. The coolant has a very difficult return path to recirculation in the drivers side head, and removing either of the two freeze plugs necessary in the two kits will allow it to free flow out of the head which brings fresher, cooler antifreeze into the head.

Yes, it's a hassle, but unfortunately is necessary for modded Cobras that are occassionally driven aggressively.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
willyum said:
Why wouldn't Ford cover this? My car is still under warranty.

If you have a stock motor and develop the tick or damage your head through normal use, Ford may replace the head under warranty. If your engine is modified or you are racing the car you are violating the warranty conditions and Ford will probably tell you to pay for it yourself.

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
just do it!!!
I went with the Evenflow kit from LFP who BTW has great customer service.
it is a helluva lot cheaper than a head or motor and tow bill etc.
it really isnt that hard to do the only thing I found hard was getting the clamp off the heater hose behind the pass. side head other than that it's a piece of cake and cheap insurance.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
flyn high again said:
If you have a stock motor and develop the tick or damage your head through normal use, Ford may replace the head under warranty. If your engine is modified or you are racing the car you are violating the warranty conditions and Ford will probably tell you to pay for it yourself.

I wish I would have looked into this a few weeks ago. The car is pullied now.:xpl:

I guess I will have to take care of this myself.

WDW MKR

Established Member
mkscobra01 said:
what if you have the revised head? When I bought mine, it had the revised head.

Which revised head? There were 2-3 design changes and only the Jan05 heads actually addressed the cooling issue. Even with the Jan05 heads, the LDC cooling mod is still cheap insurance and improves the cooling even more. I'm running it on my updated heads.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Which revised head? There were 2-3 design changes and only the Jan05 heads actually addressed the cooling issue. Even with the Jan05 heads, the LDC cooling mod is still cheap insurance and improves the cooling even more. I'm running it on my updated heads.
+1 Same here. Latest revised heads from Ford and the LDC cooling mod among many other things and my temps look great on the street and the open track.

sleepless

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the great info and support!

My decision is to get the LDC mod and since I need to drop the transmission, I'll be upgrading the clutch (see my poll in the Drivetrain section if you have an opinion on what I should get). I don't need a new clutch, but I always like to improve things if I'm already messing in that area.

I'll be selling the Even Flow kit later. I like the design of the LDC better and I don't like the idea of messing with things around the supercharger, fuel rails, etc. when I don't need to. Dropping the trans and installing a clutch is a no-brainer.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
WDW MKR said:
Yup.....The January, 05 heads "supposedly" addressed some coolant chamber flaws in the 7th and 8th cylinder head areas, but still did not provide an efficient flow through escape route for the coolant. The LDC and EF kits do this.

WDW MKR

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Yup.....The January, 05 heads "supposedly" addressed some coolant chamber flaws in the 7th and 8th cylinder head areas, but still did not provide an efficient flow through escape route for the coolant. The LDC and EF kits do this.

I wouldn't just say "supposedly" on the revised coolant passages. Independent IR gun test have shown the Jan05 head to consistently run cooler. Just FYI. :beer:

You're absolutely correct on the escape path.

Users who are viewing this thread