Where did the antifreeze go?

5PTSLO

WFO Racing!!
Established Member
I have a 07 6.0 F250 with 44000 miles. Yesterday I was pulling our travel trailer back home, and under acceleration/going up hills, etc. I would get a strong smell of antifreeze in the cab. Today I check everything I could think off, and found no sings of it leaking. The carpet is dry, no signs of leaking under the hood, Oil is clean, but the coolant resivior is empty. Alsoit ran perfect, never ran hot, always stayed at the same temp (monitored by banks 6-gun PDA). Any ideas where to look for a problem.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

S.O.B.

Sweet Old Bob!
Established Member
sounds like just a little 6.0 puking to me. From what I have heard it just happens sometimes. Might get the cooling system pressure tested.

Pur Juic

track ho
Established Member
Same thing happened to me on my 07 diesel, head gasket went and it added pressure to the cooling system and pushed the coolant out. Covered under Ford warranty but make sure you have no flash on the computer.

wicked90lx

Established Member
SID its also possible ur de-gas bottle is cracked, sometimes they get a pin hole and only leak under pressure (i noticed you didnt say you pressure tested system) Usely if it head gaskets you will hear a high pitch hummmm (its the cap blowing off pressure) while driving... EGR coolers can also leak under op temp. but not cold. Also you have a 5 year 100,000 miles warrenty... 100 dollar deductable... dealerships dont have away of telling if it has a chip. cold air and exhuast void warrenty....
(im a certified ford tech. dealing with nothing but super dutys would like to help this forum out a lil i have access to any ford workshop, wiring diagrams, warrenty look up, etc.)

diesel4eva

Established Member
SID its also possible ur de-gas bottle is cracked, sometimes they get a pin hole and only leak under pressure (i noticed you didnt say you pressure tested system) Usely if it head gaskets you will hear a high pitch hummmm (its the cap blowing off pressure) while driving... EGR coolers can also leak under op temp. but not cold. Also you have a 5 year 100,000 miles warrenty... 100 dollar deductable... dealerships dont have away of telling if it has a chip. cold air and exhuast void warrenty....
(im a certified ford tech. dealing with nothing but super dutys would like to help this forum out a lil i have access to any ford workshop, wiring diagrams, warrenty look up, etc.)

yea very tru but the problem is if you leave your chip in their and some one reprograms it youve lost the chip forever jus take it out everytime you go to the dealer to be sure and do you notice any white smoke and if you do if it smells like coolant im betting its your egr cooler
im also a diesel tech for ford dont kno y i do it but i do:shrug:

dragonlightning

Established Member
for any future readers of this...BUY ARP HEADSTUDS and give them to the ford tech, they will usually be more than happy to use them instead of the bolts with no added cost.

Even the new headbolts will give up...Mine did 2 weeks after, also be sure to get the egr Cooler bypass, because even with the head studs, you'll blow the cooler which is a huge job in itself..

Also recommend is a bypass oil filter as the injectors are oil driven and dirty screws them up, requiring new injectors and they are $2,000 a set plus labor!

Users who are viewing this thread