Where do you place your jack stands?

Breitling

Established Member
I've searched the forum and this question has come up before with no clear cut answer.

I have the jacking insert from Revan Racing to properly lift the car without damage, but where do I place the jack stands? I need to remove the rear wheels so that I can get some new tires mounted, so the car will stay on jack stands for a couple days while I get the tires and mounting completed.

The manual describes where the jack points are, but I didn't find anything on where the proper place is to place the jack stands.

I don't think placing the jack stands under the axle tubes is a good idea, especially with the weight of this car.

Thank you.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Depends. On the rear, usually under the axle tubes near the center section, but sometimes on the sub frame near the lower control arm mounting point. On the front, right on the sub frame behind the front wheels. I've placed them under the axle tube on both this car and the '12 GT I had. If they were so flimsy as to not hold up a 1/4 of the weight of the car on each side, they would never survive the pot holed, broken up streets we are forced to live with on a day to day basis. Just lower the car onto them gently.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I'd jack the rear axle and the front subframe. Keep the jacks off the side rockers, even if you have the jacking attachment. It crushes the side up.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
My stands go on the rear axle tubes....................no issues. I do put a piece of cardboard between the axle and the stand so I don't mark up the tubes with the stands.

On the front it's on the frame just behind the front wheel I do put a piece of woodblock between the frame and the axle stand so again I don't mark up the frame and damage it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Use a real jack instead of those death dealer scissors jacks.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Depends. On the rear, usually under the axle tubes near the center section, but sometimes on the sub frame near the lower control arm mounting point.

Jack stands should be as far out as you can go on the tubes. That is where the weight is directed into the chassis via the springs. The closer you go to the middle the more bending force is put on the tubes.

Tom

paluka21

Established Member
You are right, I had that backasswards! You want the stands to the outside of the tubes.

Agreed. Plus the more narrow the jacks are placed together, the more of a risk of the car shifting/tipping if you're under it doing work. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread