Where is the vacuum/boost line for Roush boost gauge?

by9468840

Established Member
guys
i m trying to install the Roush boost gauge for Roush TVS
the instructions are terrible. Which one is the vacuum/boost gauge where the "tee" fitting is placed? I dont want to cut the wrong hose. I would extremely appreciate if any TVS owner could send me a picture of the line where Tee fitting goes in.

zachcrosen

Established Member
On the passenger side of the lower manifold towards the firewall, there is a plug. Remove the plug and put a 1/8 NPT to 1/8 hose barb fitting in and get it from there.

by9468840

Established Member
i dont have the NPT fitting. I honestly dont have a clue where i can get the proper fittings here in Switzerland. no idea how those npt fittings work even if i could find the right ones.

The boost gauge came with a T shaped fitting. install instructions say to install it into a the "vacuum/boost line". i dont know which line is that? i was wondering if anyone could just send me a pic of that line if they installed using the T fitting?

by9468840

Established Member
i've been googling this since hours. there is not a single picture or any information on where to use that T fitting. i saw a pic of that passenger side manifold port but like i said above.. it'd be so much easier if anyone could show me the line i can use with the T fitting.

by9468840

Established Member
are you sure the tube of Roush mechanical boost gauge fits to a 1/8" barb fitting anyway? I thought roush supplied tubing is larger than that.

zachcrosen

Established Member
I'm fairly certain it's 1/8. I asked when doing my install and was told the only place I could get boost was off that port in the lower manifold. I'm not sure if you could tee into the line going from the SC elbow down to the bypass valve. Someone else with more knowledge will answer you. Good luck!

by9468840

Established Member
ok i guess im gonna have to buy it off ebay. just last question. do i need some sealant for the npt fitting? or is it enough to just screw it in to that port. ?

deepblue13

Established Member
You need atleast some teflon tape to wrap around the fitting before threading it on to the manifold. I found one picture on the site a long time ago of the position but cannot locate it now.

zachcrosen

Established Member
You need atleast some teflon tape to wrap around the fitting before threading it on to the manifold. I found one picture on the site a long time ago of the position but cannot locate it now.

Yep! Unfortunately, I couldn't get a single fitting so I had to use a nipple, a reducer and the NPT to barb fitting. That's a lot of Teflon wrapping and more possibilities for leaks!

by9468840

Established Member
is there any way you could post a pic of your setup?
so it is not just the NPT to Barb fitting. I have no idea what a nipple and a reducer is and how i should use them with the NPT to Barb fitting, the manifold port and the gauge hose.
I am trying to find all of these online..

i still think it'd have been much easier if someone showed the right line to install that T fitting and done! :)

Yep! Unfortunately, I couldn't get a single fitting so I had to use a nipple, a reducer and the NPT to barb fitting. That's a lot of Teflon wrapping and more possibilities for leaks!

Last edited:

zachcrosen

Established Member
is there any way you could post a pic of your setup?
so it is not just the NPT to Barb fitting. I have no idea what a nipple and a reducer is and how i should use them with the NPT to Barb fitting, the manifold port and the gauge hose.
I am trying to find all of these online..

i still think it'd have been much easier if someone showed the right line to install that T fitting and done! :)

A nipple is about 3/4" long and threaded opposite on both ends. A reducer is about the same length but it has one size female threads and one size male threads. I couldn't find the correct one piece locally and had to get my shit put back together so I rigged this up. I wouldn't do it this way. I would locate the correct fitting and use only one. Look on www.mcmaster.com. Search for hose barbed fittings then look for brass barbed hose fittings. The top one is for 1/8 hose and 1/8 NPT. now, I'm not sure of they would ship to you in Switzerland though!

vortecd

Established Member
Someone needs to do a write on the whole gauge install. I may do it if I ever get around to doing mine:)

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
My kit came with a barb fitting. The barb was 3/8". We ran some of the pcv line I didn't need and ran the line behind my blower and zip tie it to my shock tower and into a plastic 3/8 to 1/8 fitting. Then drilled a small hole in the cap that gets installed in the firewall and ran it thru. I didn't want to commit to a permanent mounted gauge, so I zip tied the line under the dash and ran the line under the edge of the center console and out next to the driver's seat. There is enough slack for the passenger to hold it if needed. It tucks down out of the way the rest of the time.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
I think the line is just half the issue. I have the Roush gauge like others and wondering where the best place is to tap in for all the wires. I have read posts online but haven't looked myself. I'm really surprised Roush didn't give more detailed info then "12 volt power source" instead of saying on '11 up use fuse box spot 3 for power etc. Would be much easier and faster if you knew where everything exactly went. I try to save time on installing part by getting info before hand and I have not seen a good write up on this.

zachcrosen

Established Member
I think the line is just half the issue. I have the Roush gauge like others and wondering where the best place is to tap in for all the wires. I have read posts online but haven't looked myself. I'm really surprised Roush didn't give more detailed info then "12 volt power source" instead of saying on '11 up use fuse box spot 3 for power etc. Would be much easier and faster if you knew where everything exactly went. I try to save time on installing part by getting info before hand and I have not seen a good write up on this.

I got my power under the console in the plug that would go to the automatic shifter. On the 6 speed, the plug is unused obviously. There is a white wire with a blue strip that is a switched 12v. I wanted my gauge to light up only blue to match my aeroforce. So. I tied my red and blue wire together behind the gauge and ran a single wire to the white/blue plug under the console and powered it there. My negative wire ran straight to the battery. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread