Where should I launch and shift my stocker?

pjb03

Established Member
Uncle called me out in his stock auto 06 GT.

My car is all stock except for some Mac shorties. I also have Bridgestone Potenzas.

Can I get some tire pressure tips, launch techniques, and the optimal shift points. I'm also on the original clutch and don't want to abuse her too badly.

This is happening at the local track tonight, so there will be a prepped surface.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
On street tires it will really depend on how high you can go up without them spinning. I suggest shifting at around 6k rpm. The stock gearing is going to kill you

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
6k rpm? Really, isn't that too high? It seems like the car runs out of steam at about 5500rpm, so that is where I would suggest.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'd also suggest 5500. With a cam you'll make power to 6k, but not otherwise. As far as launching, that really depends on how the track's hooking with your particular tires. Maybe a 2500-3000 launch with some clutch slippage.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Red Turtle said:
6k rpm? Really, isn't that too high? It seems like the car runs out of steam at about 5500rpm, so that is where I would suggest.

yeah. your right, its been a lonnnng time since I have driven a 3.08 rear car

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
My best runs were leaving just off idle, and getting into it quickly like you would at a stop light when "playing". I shifted at 5400 rpm. This would net 13.70's with clean & quick shifts (not powershifted).

stangbear427

Established Member
You think? I'm not so sure. Yeah, the '06 has a better suspension design and more power (on paper); but it's also way heavier and the Spanish Oak computer is more like an over-zealous babysitter than perfromance device. I say it's a drivers race.

pjb03

Established Member
Stangbear, you are correct. It was a drivers race.

I was very suprised how the 93 ran. My uncle and I had 7 runs, and they were all door to door. It was great looking over at each other for the whole quarter mile.:-D It was my first time at the track in several years, and my uncle hadn't raced since 1977.:lol1:

Obviously, he was more consistant with the auto. He ran consistant 14.2-14.4 at 96. I was not too consistant with my technique. I ran between 14.3-14.7 at 98. most were in the 14.4 range. My best 60 was 2.1 using the cobra186 method. Didn't want to abuse the original clutch too bad.

It was weird, I could see that his car was faster. He'd slowly pull away untill 300 feet from the trap his car would lay down as it shifted into 4th. I would pull some back in. I won 2 races and he won 3, we each redlighted once.

His best pass was 14.24 at 96. mine was 14.31 at 97. The 93 had a better trap by almost 1 mph.:shrug:

He did leave with a nasty tick on the drivers side.:(

I may have a vid to post in a day or two of one of our door to door battles.

stangbear427

Established Member
Bada-bing- just what I expected. Now, if he'd had his computer flashed it may have been another story, but I've never talked to anyone who drove a new GT who wasn't disappointed with how little of that "300HP" they were actually able to play with. Now consider what would have happened if your Cobra had the same (brand new) mileage as his GT with a good strong clutch so you weren't afraid to really pound it...

:rolling:
:burnout:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Bada-bing- just what I expected. Now, if he'd had his computer flashed it may have been another story, but I've never talked to anyone who drove a new GT who wasn't disappointed with how little of that "300HP" they were actually able to play with. Now consider what would have happened if your Cobra had the same (brand new) mileage as his GT with a good strong clutch so you weren't afraid to really pound it...

:rolling:
:burnout:

yeah but you gotta remmeber that 300 hp is pushing a 4000lb car

stangbear427

Established Member
I do remember, that was exactly my point. A '93 Cobra is a 3200lb car. Being unrealistically generous, figure every 100lb costs you a tenth, and every 100HP gives you a second. The '06 would be well over a half second slower at the same power level. Then consider that most Cobras dyno at least 250 to the ground without any major upgrades, and the cars aren't so far apart anymore. I don't know if it's true, but I'm going to assume that true to historical form, Ford advertised the new GTs HP with the flywheel number,not at the ground where it matters. If so, you've got a new GT with a giant AOD trying to pull 800 more pounds with only slightly more power, with a computer that gets pissed when you so much as try to spin the tires and starts pulling power on you. Drivers race, no doubt about it. Throw a good clutch and shifter in the Cobra with some Drag radials, and you've got nothing to worry about from ANY stock GT if you know how to drive.

stangbear427

Established Member
Yes. Ice, timing, pulled air silencer and low air in the rears. I don't remember if they ran a shortbelt or not, I'll have to check.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
There was a quoted time of 13.47 @ 100 with a K&N, No silencer, Timing, short belt and slicks.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
You think? I'm not so sure. Yeah, the '06 has a better suspension design and more power (on paper); but it's also way heavier and the Spanish Oak computer is more like an over-zealous babysitter than perfromance device. I say it's a drivers race.

I smoked a Shelby GTH from a light on motor, I know it is auto but it also has 25+ more hp.

Definitely a drivers race, they are both capable of 13.7's.

Users who are viewing this thread